Finishing

Hey guys I am on my first attempt to finish a guitar it's a all parts tele I am doing in butterscotch blonde so far I have sanded most of the grain filler off but in some it's really har to sand I've taken off as much as I can and I was wondering if there's a little left on the surface will it hurt the finish.

Not all grain fillers are invisible under the finish either. Since we don't know what you used or what finish you're going to apply it's difficult to say if it will "hurt" the finish visibly or it's adhesion. As a rule grain filler must not be on the surface. Should you have to do this again some time, try using something stiff as an applicator. I use an old credit card, or plasic glue spreader to press it into the grain and scrape it from the surface.

-Doug

Not all grain fillers are invisible under the finish either. Since we don't know what you used or what finish you're going to apply it's difficult to say if it will "hurt" the finish visibly or it's adhesion. As a rule grain filler must not be on the surface. Should you have to do this again some time, try using something stiff as an applicator. I use an old credit card, or plasic glue spreader to press it into the grain and scrape it from the surface.

-Doug

I got it from reranch I think the brand is bartleys and the color is natural.

Oh man... That stuff is nasty to sand off! Buy good non-loading sandpaper, you'll need lots of it. You'd better make sure it's off the surface too, because it could very well show through the finish.

-Doug