22 or 24 fret neck?

Guitarfrenzy

What kinda guitar do you prefer? 22 or 24?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

alot of purists say 24 frets is more than you need but it sure does suck when kirk hammet pulls a bend on the 24 fret and lays back on the trem and you can't duplicate it.

besides it is easier to reach frets 15-22 on a 24 fret neck because the cutaway is usually deeper.

also it is nice to have the full 2 octaves.more balanced tonally.

The neck pick up don't sound as sweet on a 24 fret...

what that man just said!

Guest AlexVDL
I agree with wes. Even if you don't use all 24 frets on the guitar, having 24 frets makes it easier to play the 23,22,21 etc...

yeah on a factory guitar, but if you build your own you can make the cutaway deeper on a 22 fret guitar, Just like I did on one of my guitars :D

i have read that before and i have to admit that is one of the reasons i built my v with the 24 fret 25" scale.and you know what?the man is right.the neck pickup on that guitar sounds so unbelievably sweet i can't stand to play my others at the neck.

some of you guys might expiriment with that scale and number of frets and see what you think.

and nobody always agrees with ed roman but you can learn from anybody.

besides he was probably told this by someone who was knowledgeable.

but again,there is no "best "way,only many different ways to reach many different goals

24, but i have a 23 fret strat B) i think i'm going to stick to 24 fret 25" scale for all the guitars i'm making ... best of both worlds IMO...

48 eh? got a pic? :D , anyone ever see one of vai's guitars that had a 3 octave neck (36) i can't find the link for it anymore ? it was insane,

I agree with wes. Even if you don't use all 24 frets on the guitar, having 24 frets makes it easier to play the 23,22,21 etc...

I get beautiful fret access on my 22 fret SG... but anyway, I think Wes's Kirk Hammet comment was right on. Personally, I could live without 23 and 24, but it's really annoying not to have them when I need them.

My choice, a 22 fret 24.75"... I just love the way they play.

• 5 weeks later...

If you need to play covers by 24-fret guitarists then you need 24 frets. But if you stick to your own original music, then you probably won't miss the 2 extra frets... I don't. If you think that 22 frets limits creative freedom, then you can also say that about 24 frets... why not 26, 30, or 36 frets (3 full octaves!)

P.S. I also play a 22-fret Saber 540 (non-AANJ).

I think there's a major flaw in Ed roman's argument against having the pickup at the 24th fret harmonic node. That node will only be at that position for an open string or if it's fretted at the 12th fret. Furthermore, on a 24-fret guitar, the pickup will be at the 26th fret so that any string that's fretted on the 2nd fret will produce a harmonic "dead spot" just like the open string on a 22-fret guitar.

Another thing is that the pickup placement on a 22-fret is closer to the center of the string's vibration than on a 24-fret guitar especially for notes on the lower frets, allowing the fundamental frequency to resonate a bit more giving it a greater contrast in sound to the bridge pickup.

I think there's a major flaw in Ed roman's argument against having the pickup at the 24th fret harmonic node. That node will only be at that position for an open string or if it's fretted at the 12th fret. Furthermore, on a 24-fret guitar, the pickup will be at the 26th fret so that any string that's fretted on the 2nd fret will produce a harmonic "dead spot" just like the open string on a 22-fret guitar.

I agree, it should only really make a different if you're strumming some open chords. It reminds me of the Earvava nut, it only affects open strings, if you actually fret a note down it stops doing anything.

Is there a smart way to integrate the neck pickup into the neck, and the 23rd and 24th frets would run across it, while it would be mounted at the place of the 24th? Though it may cause some bad pickup noise when you play those frets...

Anyways, this thing isn't a problem when you don't have neck pickup at all. :D

You make a good point, and that also means that it really doesn't matter where you put the pickup at then right?  lol.. You're gonna end up with a dead spot no matter what.. so give me 24 frets anyway.. I'll take my 2nd fret deadness lol

As far as the "dead spot" is concerned, it may make no difference, but like I said in my other post, that's not the only factor to consider. The 22-fret guitar allows you to place your neck pickup farther from the bridge pickup and closer to the center of the string vibration, allowing for a bigger difference in tone as you switch from one pickup to the other. Isn't it logical that the closer you place two pickups to each other, the more similar tone they will pickup? That's why many people don't see the need for a middle pickup. If we could place a pickup at the 18th fret, for example, we might get an even better neck tone! Maybe it all comes down to compromise, practicality, and personal needs or preferences.