22 or 24 fret neck?

Guitarfrenzy

What kinda guitar do you prefer? 22 or 24?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

then what node or harmonic is the brigde pick up on then?

It's the 87th fret node. :D

But seriously, if the "dead node" is not a factor with the neck pickup, it should be even less of a factor with the bridge pickup since, at the string's end, there is such a high concentration of high-order harmonics and they are so closely spaced that the pickup poles will always have enough close-by to pick up.

(Just my 2 cents worth.)

then what node or harmonic is the brigde pick up on then?

It's the 87th fret node. :D

But seriously, if the "dead node" is not a factor with the neck pickup, it should be even less of a factor with the bridge pickup since, at the string's end, there is such a high concentration of high-order harmonics and they are so closely spaced that the pickup poles will always have enough close-by to pick up.

(Just my 2 cents worth.)

I hardly ever use the neck pickup anyway, so that's not much of a concern to me. But theoretically, if you could build a guitar with a movabable pickup that would be awesome... lol...

So let's just think about this in a crazy scientific audio manner.. lol.. since you went there.. Just to make you think... If you could place the pickup all the way up to the 2nd fret then it would be more treble right? I guess if you place the pickup starting at the bridge and could slowly move it up .. it would get more bass response.. but going past the 12th fret you'd start getting treble the move you went toward the nut? Anyone want to try that and report back.. ? haha

B)

I have read this topic and didn't realize that the placing of the neck pickup was so important.

Maybe an idea: make the fretboard so that after the 24th fret the neck pickup is placed, but the fretboard has only a 24th fret on the high E and B string. The fretboard stops on the low E on the 20th fret or so. Then place the neck pickup straight against the fretboard. The neck pickup will be tilted but with the right pickup it wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe this is a useless reply but hey, I'm trying to think along

• 3 weeks later...

I voted 24 frets because since I'm playing my homemade guitar (that has 24 frets) I find a lot easier to reach the 22nd. (well, I didn't take in account that it's a neck-through, but I tried a friend of mine's JEM (the BFP :D) and it was easy too).

Even if when I'm doing my solos I rarely use the 23rd-24th frets, but when I'm making noises they're very useful.

i'd have to say 24 just for the extra amount of freedom it gives you and the fact that you can play the same note three times each in a different octave on the same string.

although wouldn't you like a thirty fret guitar???

that right thirty, just count 'em

• 3 weeks later...

I guess there is always a counter point. I like the 24 fret deal but my next project is going to be a 22 fret. I have already Set up my neck for 22 frets. When it is finished I will let you know. I think I will use a vintage bass instead of a dragon and see if it is even sweeter on a 22 fret guitar.

Jon Ray

got my 22 fret strat and a 20 fret acoustic, and i have never needed to go over them. first of all, my strat just plays most lovely (pics soon for guitar of the month, i just had some fun with it) and i never need to go about 12 or 13 on my acoustic, so throwing more wood on there wouldn't do anything for me playing wise or tonally, so i don't really care. besides, i love my acoustic. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

theres neigh muckin with 24 fret necks! the 2 octave span on any sting is cool, and as previously mentioned its easier playin the higher frets.

id however like to try a 27 or 29 fret guitar just for the hell of it

mike

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

24. I agree with ed here. The neck PU is most commonly used for clean open hords for a psuedo acoustic sound. The node is not interfered with on a real acoustic or a 24 fret guitar.

I play guitars with 24, 22, and 21 fret necks. I like each individually for what the guitar is and while I can see what Ed Roman is talking about, there are just certain things that won't disappear. Vintage style is one of them, so that's why companies keep returning to building a Les Paul or Strat clone. If that wasn't the case we'd all be playing Dean ML's, or Jackson Warriors. I personally like my 25.5" scale 24 fret necks.

Didn't Hamer have a slanted 27 fret fingerboard? I thought I remember Vernon Reid from Living Colour having one.

• 4 weeks later...

22 for now, on my guitars i designed the neck so that all the frets could be accessed with out the body getting in the way, like my 61 SG . im thinkin of doing a 24 fret and i wont have to change anything cause i also mount my pickups back off the neck about 5/8" cause i hate that" woofy neck sound" when its to bassy! mine is perfectly warm sounding and i like it!