Uk Source Of 2000 Grit Wet'n'dry?

I'm having trouble buffing out the swirl marks on my strat project, the finest wet'n'dry paper I can find is 600 grit, then I'm switching to a scotchbrite pad before buffing with T-Cut. Still the swilr marks are staying. (This is an automotive aerosol paint app.)

I cannot find any finer grade paper anywhere. I'd be happy with a couple of sheets of 2000 grit to finish the job off.

Does anyone have any contacts for UK-based suppliers of really fine grit wet'n'dry? Do I really have to buy this from the U.S.?

Halfords had it when I last went, but it was quite a while ago.

Good to hear Halfords do do some high grits...

I found an online shop (in my little trails on the web, doing some background research for when I start making guitars), www.axminster.co.uk

They do up to 2500grit... Im in possession of some Micro-Mesh... think I've got 12000grit and 18000grit (I think). Dunno where I found it though, crazy grit numbers, probably only good for polishing.

I polished a bass yesterday in my workshop after taking it to 1200 grit wet n dry. There' s an automotive supplier called Bancrofts where you can get fine paper in the UK. I also have the Micromesh kit but after 3200 grit you might as well be wiping your lacquer with wet newspaper

I just sand out the orange peel (granted I'm getting almost none after switching over to my SATA) with 2000 grit and than use my micro mesh kit to go up to 12000 and polish from there. I like starting with the finer grit because it doesn't leave any scratchs that will show after the final polish. As long as your clear went on nice it shouldnt't take very longt to sand out with the higher grit.

Edited by Godin SD

Craft supplies carry a micro-mesh finishing kit with grades from 1500 to 12000 with a rubber sanding block and an emery board to do your nails with :D And you can always throw some into an order with stew-mac from the states. Really though its overkill on lacquers, it gets to a certain stage and buffing compounds do a much better job. I use the micromesh mainly for polishing fretboards before i fret and the frets once they are installed, makes em all dead slinky. Wetsand a fretboard with danish oil going through all the grades, buff off the excess and stand back in awe!!

I regularly get my finer grades of paper from halfords. I usually get a mixed pack that goes from 240-1200 if i remember correctly, that will probably get me through 2 guitars worth of sanding if you are economical with it and go through the grades properly.

• 6 months later...

Just found your site and noticed a few references to MICROMESH polishing abrasives. My company, RD Taylor, based in Glasgow Scotland, stock Micromesh products including the KR70 Kits, rolls of all gradse of Micromesh from coarse 100MX right up to 12000 grit - extremely smooth but still classed as an abrasive. If anyone wants more help etc with Micromesh, please feel free to contact me. For a full insight to Micromesh, try visiting their web site micro-surface.com.

Dick K.

• 1 year later...

I know it is a loooooooot late and I don't know if it'll be useful but have you guys gone to websites such www.axminster.co.uk and www.screwfix.co.uk?

Axminster stock up to 2500 grit. I didn't try to hard on screwfix (don't realy buy much stuff of them!)

Hope I helped!!

Edited by Zapata_M