Amp In Need

slayer63636

yep, my marshall 8200 is having problems again. this time it cuts out. i think ive read that its due to the fx loop or a bad input. i tryed to do a search on this site but it seems to be down. anywho i was at a buddys place jammin and i noticed that at any voulme the sound will cut out at times or the distortion will weaken. another thing ive notcied is that it manily happens when i pcik really hard but since its the way i normaly pick its a huge inconvinance. anyone have any ideas?

yep, my marshall 8200 is having problems again. this time it cuts out. i think ive read that its due to the fx loop or a bad input. i tryed to do a search on this site but it seems to be down. anywho i was at a buddys place jammin and i noticed that at any voulme the sound will cut out at times or the distortion will weaken. another thing ive notcied is that it manily happens when i pcik really hard but since its the way i normaly pick its a huge inconvinance. anyone have any ideas?

ignore me if you think this may be a stupid obvious answer, but i had this problam a while ago, just so happens to be a marshall but that was nothing to do with the problem. i would get the sound wekening with hard picks and sometimes cutting out.

to cut a long story short, i bought a new lead and the problem was fixed.

hope its something simple with yours,(not a major fault)

mabyenot- the instrument cable? i dont think thats it since im running faily new calbes and i take care of them so they dont get ran over with a chair or get bent to an extreme.

gripper-the head i have has both stereo and mono FX loops. i am currntly using the stereo one. would it help if the mono has a "dummy" wire from the in to out? i havent cleaned the jacks in months so maby thats it. i just need to pick up some contact cleaner

I don't use contact cleaner as the sole method to clean these jacks. The problem usually is in the contacts of the switches that open and close as you plug a cable into them and contact cleaner has a hard time cleaning a set of contacts that are closed. Plus the cleaner can soften some materials to the point of failure. Q-tips and blotter paper are my choice. Plug that jumper in to the unused effects jack and try it.

Q-tips ROCK! :D

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Work is interfering with pleasure again. I would use denatured alchohol or contact cleaner on the Q-tips. I forgot. The computer age has made stuff like blotter paper a relative oddity. It is just any thick paper like the stuff cheap business cards are made of. Cut it in 1/4" or smaller strips and use like sandpaper between the contacts. No solvent needed. You will be amazed at how much dirt comes off on it!

Dirt ROCKS! :D not!

you know steel wool works equally well.

...steel wool works equally well...
Except it leaves little conductive lint particles all over everything, which can generate some very exciting displays inside a high voltage chassis! :D

Actually, a dollar bill will work almost as well as the blotter paper gripper was referring to - any high fiber content (rough) paper will, for that matter, I just always liked the idea of running a dollar bill between fouled ignition points and having the engine crank right up!

(For those of you not old enough to remember points and condensors, they fired the ignition coil on gasoline internal combustion engines back in the 20th Century :D )