More New Inlay By Craig Lavin

Clavin

Hi Guys.

I just finished this one up for a freind. I don't do repeats, but this one is more life like than the last one I did a few months back with regards to the colors, and is a different pose :D . There are about 13 different materials in this ranging from corians to recon stones, to ivory - both real and synthetic, to woods.

Thanks for looking as always!

Craig Lavin

2006-04-11_073327_finished_OLF_frog.jpg

Hey your following me!

That's cool. I posted this on another site that Chris visits as well as I.

Chris you'll come over to the shop one day. Just give me until mid summer to get caught up O.K?

By the way my next fretboard is also featuring a panda.

Craig L.

Chris your definitly an inspiration :D

Thanks Cliff. With inlay the colors either make it or break it. I went out and ordered a few different corians for this one.

Craig L.

Favorite animals, etc. Then just google image search until you find something you like, and then adapt that to inlay with tracing paper and a little free-hand work. I'm nowhere NEAR a good artist... so I can't draw out my things myself, most of my stuff is traced. Craig I think draws his own from scratch??

Chris

Sure, I scratch a lot while I draw... :D

I do a lot of both things. I am not a great "free drawing" artist, so I use a lot of photography and related type images as models. There are many pattern books out there that are copywrite free that many people use, but I seldom use them anymore as they are not to my style most times. I also have a lot of marine life photographers that let me use their photos, as well as my own to model off of. I do trace a little, especially when it comes to human face details, and human body parts where the shape is so critical, but I try to use real people and photography as a reference and "free draw" the most of it. Of course then everything has to be modified, sometimes a lot, for inlay- piecing, etc... so everything looks a bit different in the end from the literal photographic begining when I start with models. Generally details have to be either grouped or eliminated entirely to make it look correct as an inlay.

As for ideas- I am a marine biologist and general science and nature lover at heart, but I really am starting to enjoy inlay for the challenge of just making things look as real as possible. I would have never thought I would do human faces, but to many peope they think they are some of my best works, much to my surprise.

That and of course client recommended comissions.

Craig L.