My Next Bass Build (design Idea)

Just thought i'd post my latest design idea for my next Bass build. I've already made 1 bass a few months ago with a very similar body shape, but i've updated the design a bit for the next build.

Here's a pic:

http://www.gb-bass.com/Bass/Model-1.jpg

(the pic may be too big for projectguitar's picture posting guidelines, thus i'll just post a link)

I'm thinking of a Curly Maple body and neck, most likely a bolt on neck.

Then a Walnut Burl veneer on both the top and back, as well as on the headstock

Bois de Rose for the Fingerboard, Fretted w/24 Frets.

36" Scale

EMG Active electronics with 2 Humbuckers

Single String Bridges again (4-string)

All Black hardware (this will be a first for me, I usually go for all chrome hardware)

Here's a pic of my previous bass build.

http://www.gb-bass.com/protogb-bass/DSC00454.JPG

Thanks, I only plan on carving it like it's shown in the pic. Curly Maple body with a maple burl venner (and possibly a puprleheart veneer under the maple burl as well, not sure yet though). Where you see the curly maple in the pic is where the carve's will be, all around the edges.

The curly maple has already been bought and paid for and should be arriving early next week. I'll probably order the walnut burl, and possibly purpleheart veneers next week after I get my next paycheck. I'd really love some good bloodwood veneer but I can't seem to find any, at least not large enough to use on an entire bass body.

A somewhat side note: I made the body template already for this but somehow I made it very small, much too small for a bass, but it is just the right size for a guitar. I already have some Swamp Ash here so I think i'm going to go ahead and make a guitar version of this as well using that template. For the guitar i'm thinking of finishing it in a 2 tone paint scheme, trans-black for the sides/edge of the guitar (where the curly maple is in the pic), and then trans-dark red for the top and back (where the walnut burl veneer is in the pic). Maple neck with ebony fret board. That'll be another first for me, I normally hate ebony fret boards but with that color scheme I think it would look very nice.

I know bass shapes don't generally translate well as guitars, but I can imagine the finished product in my head and I think it will work.

Whoah! Great minds think alike I guess. I've never seen those before. He's also doing something else I was working on implementing in the design on future builds as well, how the mid section of the body from the horns (upper and lower) to the bridge is raised higher than the wings of the body. It's subtle in that pic you linked to but on other basses shown on that site it's more pronounced. I've seen it somewhere else though too, can't remember where though.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I never knew of kingbass before.

Yeah, growing up Les Claypool and Carl Thompson basses were my big influences.

I don't try to copy either of them though. I think i've developed a playing style that seperates me from trying to emulate Les Claypool, while at the same time I can't ignore the influence. I have a variety of other influences as well from all different types of music.

I'm trying to do the same as well in my bass guitar designs. I'm definitely influenced by the Carl Thompson bass guitars, but i'm really trying to find a style of my own and not just trying to make Carl Thompson copies. But again, the influence just can't be ignored.

Whoah! Great minds think alike I guess. I've never seen those before. He's also doing something else I was working on implementing in the design on future builds as well, how the mid section of the body from the horns (upper and lower) to the bridge is raised higher than the wings of the body. It's subtle in that pic you linked to but on other basses shown on that site it's more pronounced. I've seen it somewhere else though too, can't remember where though.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I never knew of kingbass before.

Yeah, growing up Les Claypool and Carl Thompson basses were my big influences.

I don't try to copy either of them though. I think i've developed a playing style that seperates me from trying to emulate Les Claypool, while at the same time I can't ignore the influence. I have a variety of other influences as well from all different types of music.

I'm trying to do the same as well in my bass guitar designs. I'm definitely influenced by the Carl Thompson bass guitars, but i'm really trying to find a style of my own and not just trying to make Carl Thompson copies. But again, the influence just can't be ignored.

I hear you on the influences. I always wanted a CT bass but could never bring myself to shell out the $3K+ it takes to have him build you one.

My first build was a bit of a CT copy (the scroll). My subsequent designs I tried to incorporate somewhat of the same "flavor" as a CT, but hopefully not have people immediately think Carl Thompson when they see it. I guess that is why I like David King's basses so much also. David is a very nice guy too.

Good luck with your build and post some progress pics when you get rolling.