Making A Neck

I'm new and I just finished working on prepping my guitar body for cutting on Monday but I'm planning on making a neck for my electric guitar(6 string) and I need help making a neck but all the tutorials in the building necks section of the tutorials page just get me to nowhere so can anyone help me? :D

What russ said. Its a good book.

Good luck!

Why do they get you to nowhere? They certainly get some people to somewhere. If those don't answer your questions(which are very vague, might I add), then you need different questions. Remember, sometimes it's the question and not the answer that's wrong :D . Seriously though, buy that book, you will not regret it if you wholeheartedly intend to build guitars.

peace,

russ

I need some help making a freakin electric guitar neck and stop telling me to buy blasted book when the nearest large bookstore(i.e. Borders, Barne's and Noble) is 40 miles and 27.5 miles away.(just a guess folks)

And my parents don't buy a lot of stuff off the internet. Most of it is stuff off of Ebay.(I've already looked folks I don't want to win a cheap neck and have to pay $9.99 for shipping) :D

So, you people gonna help me or not?

I understand how to make a blasted neck I need help with actually figuring out the dimensions of the d@mn heel since bloddy people have the time to type that in to your tutorials :D

I need some help making a freakin electric guitar neck and stop telling me to buy blasted book when the nearest large bookstore(i.e. Borders, Barne's and Noble) is 40 miles and 27.5 miles away.(just a guess folks)

And my parents don't buy a lot of stuff off the internet. Most of it is stuff off of Ebay.(I've already looked folks I don't want to win a cheap neck and have to pay $9.99 for shipping) :D

So, you people gonna help me or not?

I understand how to make a blasted neck I need help with actually figuring out the dimensions of the d@mn heel since bloddy people have the time to type that in to your tutorials :D

Hey, chill out bro.. I think the advice you've been given is the right direction. Melyvn's book is very valuable and highly recommended. How was they to know you can't drive 27.5 miles to buy one. Chill...

First off, you have to be willing to be helped, before you can get help. The advice given to you has been for your benefit. If your building your own guitar, you can make the heel any dimension you want to. Now, If your wanting a certain size heel, like a Fender, Gibson, PRS, then we can understand you better. Check out my Making of a Strat pictorial if you want to know the methods for making a Fender style neck. It doesn't give the dimension of the heel though, simply because I didn't show how to make your own templates, which would have taken up a whole tutorial itself. This was built from Strat templates bought from Ron at guitarbuildingtemplates.com. If your serious about building a neck, take the time to build good templates first. I've said it a million times and will say it again to you,,, it's much easier sanding a 1/4" template perfect than it is a 2" piece of hardwood. Hope you find the pictorial of some use to you.

As far as the dimensions goes, and I'm just going to assume you meant a Fender type neck. Here's a link that should help you to make your own using these dimensions.

link 1

Hey come on!

You ask vague, unspecific questions, yet people still do there best to try understand and help you. Then you get angry?!

People are giving their time to try to help you, they dont have to.

I still cant decide if that outburst was for real or if its a joke thats come across wrongly...

I still think you should get the book :D

You want to know how to get these dimensions? Here is exactly how you find your dimensions. If this does not help you, I doubt much will:

-Find a sheet of paper big enough to draw a guitar on

-On one end, draw a line representing the saddles of your bridge

-Now put 6 perpendicular short lines on the line your just drew representing your string spacing; this should be determined from the bridge that you've purchase for the guitar(since you're prepared and have already purchased the bridge, right?)

-Now draw a line that's perpendicular to the line representing your bridge, starting at the center of said line, and going for whatever distance your desired scale length is

-now draw a line perpendicular to the line you just drew at the line's end; this will represent your nut

-draw 6 notches on the line you just drew; this should be whatever string spacing you desire your nut to have

-now connect the marks for the outermost strings on the nut and bridge. This represents your high e and low e strings.

-draw two lines, one parallel to each of the "strings." Draw them 1/8" outside of the high e and low e strings.

-Locate the bridge line and your neck's centerline(the line representing the scale length)

-mark the half way point between the nut and the bridge. have this line terminate on the lines you drew parallel to the high and low e strings. This is the width of your fretboard at the 12th fret.

-Now find the half way point between the 12th fret and the bridge. Have this line terminate on the lines you drew parallel to the high and low e strings as well. This is the width of the fretboard at the 12th fret.

That gives you all of the critical measurements for the neck, except the thickness(which is up to you, but should not be less than 1/8"+the thickness of your truss rod+ the thickness of your fretboard). Any other dimensions of the neck are more or less cosmetic. Don't forget to account for heal thickness and possible angle as well.

I believe my job here is done. Now chill out, read up, and get to work. :D

peace,

russ

drawing03.jpg

Above is a drawing of what Russ was explaining earlier. I posted this before you demanded a drawing of it.

strat style neck with u channel adjustable truss rod and either a RG headstock shape or a flying v headstock shape. Does that help ya? :D:DB)

I gave you a link that not only shows you how to make a strat style neck, but also the whole thing from complete scratch to finish. I really don't understand why you can't get started. You just need to get drawing out your templates with the dimensions in the link I gave you for the neck, draw out or print out your headstock shape once you decide on something, and like Larry the Cable guy says, "GET-R-DUN"... :D

I might go look at music-go-round(retarded music store name) and see if they have any cheap used necks the next time I'm in Davenport , IA they have used pickups for $10 for a set of 2 so I might as well see if they also have cheap necks there as well.

Music-go-round is kinda a music store/music pawn shop in the same building.

• 3 weeks later...

I might go look at music-go-round(retarded music store name) and see if they have any cheap used necks the next time I'm in Davenport , IA they have used pickups for $10 for a set of 2 so I might as well see if they also have cheap necks there as well.

Music-go-round is kinda a music store/music pawn shop in the same building.

hey punk whats up i seen that u said u live near davenport i live about 27 miles south of there music -go- round is a good store but i dont believe they have any replacement necks mostly pick guards tunners and pick -up but u should still try and if not there a a couple of great luthierers around here that im sure might be able to help u