Hello And Help!

Hey everyone i was searching through the internet for a more eclectic mix of guitar technicality and stumbled upon this little oasis, so hello to all.

I've been playing guitar for some time now but when it comes to maintenence and repairs i am rather inept.

Recently my guitar's been givin me jip, when played on the 5th or 21st fret of the high e string the string hits of another fret and so is muted. I presume this is to to with the string height being to low (the action?) on which there is info on the home page ('string height and bridge adjustment'). Is this just something i could do on my own with a screwdriver and a ruler or is it a trickery findangled manouver?

You're in luck if it's the string height that's causing the trouble because you can easily raise it yourself, unless maybe if it's a Floyd Rose (which remain a complete mystery to me), but it could be that it's caused by the neck being bowed or the frets not being level, which is trickier to fix.

Hope this helps and good luck

Maurits

What sort of guitar is it?

(On a floyd rose there are 2 studs towards each edge of the bridge, you just turn them to raise or lower the bridge.)

If its a les paul style guitar (with a tunomatic bridge) you could do it with a screwdriver, if its a strat I think you need an alan key.

Hi Square and welcome,

could be that the frets are worn in those positions....are those notes that you play - and maybe bend - a lot?

If so, then you're looking at a fret levelling job to get it right if you don't want to raise the action (thus decreasing playability) significantly.

I hope that's not the problem, but if it's only those frets that are the problem and nothing else has changed (like string guage), then it's the most likely.

Good luck,

Brian.

How old is the guitar, and how often has it been played? If it is fairly old it may very well be dented frets, but the neck might have also warped, meaning that your neckis in need of truss rod adjustment. Seeing that it is only on two frets, i doubt if its the string height.

the guitar is only a year and a bit old and is a epihpone les paul. I don't play the notes significantly more than any other ones so that can't be the reason. the reason why it was only happening on two frets was why i was unsure to wheather or not it was string height, but if its an easy job i might as well give it a wee try an see (this great philosophy of mine is also why most my stuff is broken, my toaster is in pieces and my shelves collapse though!).

happy easter to all by the way, hope it twas filled with chocolatly goodness of spherical form and epic proportions!

Heh, I'm dealing with this same thing ...in my case, it's just one fret--and I can see that the end of the fret has lifted ever-so-slightly out of the slot. Seems like this might have happened at about the time the weather changed --we'd been having a drought for the past year or so, all of a sudden it rained more in one month than in the last two years.

Have you inspected the frets --most likely it's the 6th and 22nd frets that are giving you the problem.

If the fret ends look all right, maybe you just need to adjust the relief.

to paraphrase abba there must indeed be something in the air! (however more guitar relate than 'fernando' who ever that fella is). anywho enough of crazy dutch fellows or whatever abba are.

Maybe your theory on the weather could be spookily right! the weather be getting alright in scottyland now and my 5th fret problem has miraculously fixed! and now its just the 21st fret that is the problem, mmm? the fret looks fine though and i do get a note now however but it's a D instead of a C# (if my quick thinking serves me right) the string hits the fret of the 22nd (which looks perfectly normal) instead of the 21st (quite annoying for fret wankery). its bound to just be the string height (is that what you call 'relief', whats 'action' then?

maybe if i just leave it until summer the magic power of metorological power shall transmographicate my vibrating device and cure it from its vile wrong-doings........that could just be a longshot though.

by the way this :D emoticon! just think of the example it will set to kids. Smoking, sunglasses, smiling- you will be neither cool nore happy when you die of cancer (you probably will be before that though)

to paraphrase abba there must indeed be something in the air! (however more guitar relate than 'fernando' who ever that fella is). anywho enough of crazy dutch fellows or whatever abba are.

Maybe your theory on the weather could be spookily right! the weather be getting alright in scottyland now and my 5th fret problem has miraculously fixed! and now its just the 21st fret that is the problem, mmm? the fret looks fine though and i do get a note now however but it's a D instead of a C# (if my quick thinking serves me right) the string hits the fret of the 22nd (which looks perfectly normal) instead of the 21st (quite annoying for fret wankery). its bound to just be the string height (is that what you call 'relief', whats 'action' then?

maybe if i just leave it until summer the magic power of metorological power shall transmographicate my vibrating device and cure it from its vile wrong-doings........that could just be a longshot though.

by the way this :D emoticon! just think of the example it will set to kids. Smoking, sunglasses, smiling- you will be neither cool nore happy when you die of cancer (you probably will be before that though)