Why Was Your Second Guitar Better Than Your First One?

My second was better than my first because of experience, that's an easy one to answer. I think most people will agree. The things I found daunting on the first were the set, angled neck, the fret job, carving the top, and the binding. I should add finishing to that list, but I wasn't worried at the time. However, I've since refinished it due to a poorly applied metal flake paint.

peace,

russ

Why Was Your Second Guitar Better Than Your First One?

It wasn't! :D I got it right the first time around. I'm still working on the second one, and this is about a year after guitar no. 3 was finished. I just wasn't happy with the finish on guitar no. 2 so I've been trying out all kinds of things. Must have stripped it back down to bare wood about 8 times by now. :D

The first(full from scratch, I qualify it because I did misc. partials and repairs for years before). I would say the shape of the headstock was the weak link. I learned to remedy this by making full scale drawings to build to. To be honest I love doing things that are more complex and force me to stretch my ability's. If I found something particularly difficult. It would probably be my favorite aspect of the build(at least till I get board with it).

Peace,Rich

Fry: I couldn't agree with you more. I certainly love having to focus all of my attention on a detail and strain to get it perfect. It's much more rewarding to me, that way.

Punk: the unwritten rule is you can only tell people to turn body blanks into cutting boards after you've built a few playable guitars :D. At least I think that's the rule. Let me check the rule book, oh wait...unwritten rule, doh.

#1) I took more time and didn't rush a single thing.

#2) I re-did the fret job after having the guitar strung up to pitch for several months, while the neck "settled" (flame maple). I actually levelled the frets with the strings up at tension, just angled up off the fretboard with blocks of wood stuck in front of the nut and at the bridge. By marking up the frets with a Sharpie and observing how they eroded as I levelled them, I could see clearly how inadequate the initial fret job was, because I (both) got better at it and the neck wood was done moving. I took the neck off to crown & polish. Much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Problems: Bought a cheap neck (still had Louisville Slugger stamped on the back.) The only thickness I could get (in 10th grade shop) was 1 1/2", it felt a little thin.

Why the second was better: Learned how to count, add, and measure.

Hmm...dunno. Each guitar's been different, presented different challenges; some things got easier, some things were done differently, I slowly discovered what kind of feel I wanted for my necks, finishes improved, fretwork and setup improved...still, all my guitars play just great, just the necks are a bit chunky for most tastes. Me? I like 'em.

Work slow, think everything through, measure several times, draw everything out, and get better using the tools you have/buy better tools as you go (carving tops with an angle grinder = the way forward).

We'll like everyone has already said, experience. Each guitar you build, you learn something new, and like Mattia stated, each guitar build presents you with new challenges. Unless of course you make the same kind of guitar over and over again.. lol Learning that it's not just the technique you use to do something, but also the order you do things that sometimes makes the biggest difference. You learn to plan better, and be prepared before each build. That's things I didn't really realise on my first build. So yes, the second build was better, but it was because I learned from my mistakes the first time.

so could your first guitar stand up against a fabricated axe in the same budget range(material vs. brand axe cost, comparing the work costs is rather unfair) let's say an epiphone... in playability and sound. well for me I like almost every guitar for something even for its perfect crappy sound, I love the challenge of playing different guitars... whatever...

if I start making a rather chunky neck(got large fingers), can I change the neck profile after I've finished(doing an oil n wax finish that is). I'm not too sure about my favorite profile, I kind of get used to most chunkier necks and I can live with tiny ones as well sometimes... I like my Gibson SG neck though I think it could be a tad thicker...

Depends how cheap you keep it, how pricey the parts you use are; manufacturers get nice big discounts on hardware and such. In terms of playability and tone, there's every chance you can build something that's the tonal equal or superior of a factory-made guitar in the same range. The detailing, particularly the finish job, binding, finer details, that sort of thing, well, that can vary hugely.

Making a guitar that sounds and plays great isn't THAT hard, but making one what sounds and plays and LOOKS great is an additinoal challenge. Fact is, if you're on this to save money, think again. You probably won't be able to sell any home builds and even break even, because you don't have a name anyone recognizes on the headstock.

Build because you love building.

Depends how cheap you keep it, how pricey the parts you use are; manufacturers get nice big discounts on hardware and such. In terms of playability and tone, there's every chance you can build something that's the tonal equal or superior of a factory-made guitar in the same range. The detailing, particularly the finish job, binding, finer details, that sort of thing, well, that can vary hugely.

Making a guitar that sounds and plays great isn't THAT hard, but making one what sounds and plays and LOOKS great is an additinoal challenge. Fact is, if you're on this to save money, think again. You probably won't be able to sell any home builds and even break even, because you don't have a name anyone recognizes on the headstock.

Build because you love building.

I ain't really on a budget. just curious. sound and playability is first for me... looks are nice. I want to build guitars cos I love em and to do stuff that isn't available from most brands/is too expensive imho. ie a LP ain't worth that much money... or a Tele(AmStd etc) like wood combos pup etc whatever you know what I mean...