Questions About The Schematics Of Diffrent Amps.

Daniel Sorbera

I don't see why you guys are dissing peavey.

Probably because you're too young to remember some of their earlier abominations - for those of us who lived through the Chorus 120/original Bandit/early CS800 era, even the 5150 doesn't give ol' Hartley sufficient credibility to expect better than rubbish from the pride of Mississippi! They were (and pretty much remain, with a few notable exceptions) the Dollar General Store of music manufacturers! :D

I just remember reading a Guitar Player a few months ago when they were interviewing Hartley and he got real pissed when the author told him that his company was really considered by many to be the bottom of the barrel. HP then said something about the fact that a major "boutique" amp manufacturer had actually been working with them to build a new line of amps for the boutique manufacturer at a lower cost of assembly than what they could normally do on their own.

Peavey's had some stinkers and some good stuff. I like the JSX and 5150/6505, and the XXL isn't a bad solid-state amp. I remember they made some really cool drums about 8 years ago that were carved out of wood instead of shaped out of plys, and their guitars haven't been terrible. When I've needed parts or schematics for my amp, they've had 'em and I haven't had to call someone in India to get it, either.

To each his own, my learned friend - since Hartley's directly responsible for at least part of my recurring back pain (all those wretched 300lb chipboard PA cabs we toted back in the day :D ), and I had to deal with trying to make his gear sound vaguely presentable for years, my take on Peavey may be colored by my misspent youth down here in Dixie (where everybody had to have Peavey!!). My impression is still that they produce(d) a lot of cheap, barely adequate products (T-60, all their pre-XXL solid state amps, most of their PA gear, especially the early stuff), a few surprising near-gems (5150, Vandenberg, Cirrus bass, Vintage 20/30), and a number of really quirky southern oddities (Mantis, anyone?) - maybe Wal-Mart would be a kinder description, but they still don't quite do it for me. As always, YMMV. :D

Oh yeah, I've lugged around some vintage Peavey PA cabs. I still haven't figured out why they needed to be THAT big. My bassist has a full setup of vintage Peavey gear from back in the day and we used it before we got a good deal on a new JBL setup.

I do wish that they'd use better materials for the cabinets. Chipboard is a little too cheap when you're touting your products as an alternative to Mesa and Randall.