Stacked Single Coil?

radrobgray

i am planning on buying a Bill Lawrence USA L250 single coil, it is a stacked humbucker. will it sound like a single coil still? i want to know this because i will be using it in the middle position on my guitar for playing slap guitar and dirty strat sounds.

also what are the advantages/disadvantages of a stacked hum vs. a single coil?

will it sound like a single coil still?

also what are the advantages/disadvantages of a stacked hum vs. a single coil?

It should sound single-coil-ey, not exactly like a true strat s/c, but close.

The advantage of the stacked design is noise reduction - the stacked coils create a humbucking effect.

However, a stacked humbucker combined with a single coil will not be humbucking. What guitar/pickup configuration do you have? Do you use the middle by itself?

Mike

the guitar has a H-S-H configuration. but, at the moment it only has 2 hums. i have the 5-way switch wired up to do:

pos. 1. bridge

2. bridge + middle

3. middle

4. middle + neck

5. neck

at the moment i only get bridge and neck pups. is there a way to put a switch to activate the bridge and neck at the same time?

is there a way to put a switch to activate the bridge and neck at the same time?

The Megaswitch 'E' model 5-way will give you bridge+neck in the 3 position, as will a Superswitch (depending on how you wire it).

Or you can keep the standard 5-way and add a mini-toggle or push-pull pot that will turn on the neck p/u independent of the 5-way.

virtual vintage are dimarzio pickups.

Stacked single coils sound fine, as long as you're not eric johnson you won't notice the difference very much. I use em cous i play in a studio with lots of computers and such (Huuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......) which helps quite alot. Look at lace sensors as well if you want quiet single coil sounds. They come in lots of flavours.

S

:D

• 6 months later...

Hello. :D I know the thread is a little old, but I don't want to start a new one, do I? B)

Do you think, it may be interesting to split a stacked humbucker/single-coil to achieve more realistic 2 & 4 positions on a strat? Or should I leave it to an Eric Johnson wannabe? :D

At the moment I've got an HSS strat (DM Paf pro / Fender sc / Fender sc), but I'm going to swap sc for a pair of DiMarzio Virtual 2 (DP409) and I was thinking to wire them like this:

1 - Full Neck

2 - Split Neck + Split Middle

3 - Full Middle

4 - Split Midlle + Split Bridge

5 - Full Bridge

Is splitting the V2 worth the extra effort or not? Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. :D I know the thread is a little old, but I don't want to start a new one, do I? B)

Do you think, it may be interesting to split a stacked humbucker/single-coil to achieve more realistic 2 & 4 positions on a strat? Or should I leave it to an Eric Johnson wannabe? :D

At the moment I've got an HSS strat (DM Paf pro / Fender sc / Fender sc), but I'm going to swap sc for a pair of DiMarzio Virtual 2 (DP409) and I was thinking to wire them like this:

1 - Full Neck

2 - Split Neck + Split Middle

3 - Full Middle

4 - Split Midlle + Split Bridge

5 - Full Bridge

Is splitting the V2 worth the extra effort or not? Thanks for the input.

you could do it but I don't know if it will sound more like the strat 2 and 4 possitions or less like them (as after you've tapped the stacked humbuckers they'll only have roughly half their normal output).