Covering A Rubdown Transfer, Placed Over Urethane:?

Stew

I'm getting my own headstock decals. It's the rubdown transfer or known to you guys as "Chromatecs" or "INTs". Lacquer is out and will ruin the decal.

I outsourced my finish work on some of my guitars for time reasons. But I now want to place my decals on the headstock. In the future, if I outsource, I'll just have them apply at the time of finishing.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas?

Ok, I used Deft lacquer over the decal. No problems. I rough sanded the existing urethane with 800 wetsand, then applied the rubdown transfer, shot a light coat of lacquer, let dry for about 30 minutes, then shot 3 more coats (1 slightly wetter coat, once after every 3 hours). I'll provide pics later.

- Stew

4300054.jpg

Lightly sanded polyurethane and cheese cloth to remove any dust.

P42900054.jpg

No need to find an outline, just cut the size area you need to work with.

P4300055.jpg

Align where desired.....

4300056.jpg

..rub the transfer using your fingernail or blunt, rounded object that won't leave depression marks.....

P4300057.jpg

..slowly lift the paper...

P4300058.jpg

..and there you go. A perfect logo without any decal outlines.

P5020061.jpg

Final clear coat cover.

Hey that's pretty cool, I like it. It's very proffessional looking

It should be, they are the same company that makes Fender's decals. Actually they also make headstock decals for Ibanez, ESP, and many other guitar companies. They are called Scary Productions out of Van Nuys, CA.

It should be, they are the same company that makes Fender's decals. Actually they also make headstock decals for Ibanez, ESP, and many other guitar companies. They are called Scary Productions out of Van Nuys, CA.

How large (or small) of an order can you place with them? Although, I'm going to assume it's kind of pricey...

How large (or small) of an order can you place with them? Although, I'm going to assume it's kind of pricey...

Like most custom made things, the sky is the limit (or your wallet). It would have been cheaper if I had made my original logos on Acrobat Distiller in the form of a TIFF file. But since that was not what I used, they had to re illustrate my design and made the rub down transfer from their work.

Yes, very pricey, especially since I requested Fender metallic gold for my lettering body. Minimum order is one sheet. Depending on how small your logo is, you can get quite a bit on one sheet. I got 39 decals on one 8 1/2" X 11" sheet. Reorders will be much cheaper since they keep the negatives and artwork filed. My order was well over $100. I think the quality of the decals were worth it. I was tired of using cheap inkjet, waterslide decals. These decals are very sharp and clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Id be very happy to pay over $100 or even pay £100 to be able to decal 39 guitars to that pro level !

Id also be interested in more contact details or website for them thanks ;-) ( i hope they will ship to the uk?)

If anyone knows a uk company that can do a similar job i would be v interested

Stew,

Could you post the contact info for " Scary Productions ".

Thanks

Mike

Scary Productions

Business Services

7955 Haskell Ave Ste. 4

Van Nuys, CA 91406-1911

(818) 782-8204

Ask for Mark or John. They don't have a website, mostly do things word of mouth since they get plenty of business.

- Stew