How Do I Install Covers On Humbuckers

Seriously, possum, you asked this exact question several months ago and got lots of help. Check your old posts, or do a search: "humbucker covers"

I don't mean to go all harsh on you, but you should at least put a little effort into this stuff. :D

Mike

Oh don't worry about ol grumpy Possum, I'm new to this forum and I just saw your thread so let me tell ya, I wind my own pickups and the fact is, metal covers seriously undermine the tone of pickups. I would never use em. If you must cover them, try and use plastic ones. I'm not sure if you can get them with the holes but you can get them with no holes. They slip right on over the humbucker. Use a little epoxy to hold em on. They'll look like EMG's then. Don't go wreckin them pickups by putting the metal covers on em.

You can do that and it's a great idea, but if you ever want to remove the covers again, the silicone method works well enough.

Well better late than never. The silicone method does work well but, if you want to remove the covers later you may be in EDITED . I have done this and one coil came out with the cover pulling out the start wire, a rewind was then called for.

A good thing really, as it made me dicide to start winding my own pickups which I have been doing for a year now with great results. I'll never buy a pickup again, but I digress.

The reason I decided to remove the cover was that as I have stated in another thread, metal covers seriously undermine your pickups tone, trust me. And yes, you do need to do more than just put it on as microphonic feedback will prevail. I would pot before ever using silly cone ever again. That stuff sets like glue and then after you get the cover off you will need to spend more time trying to remove all the mess you put on top off the pickup, thats if you can get it off in one piece.

So, save yourself all that trouble and leave the covers to those who don't care about their tone, them that sell em.

1ST warning for language!!!

Edited by Maiden69

Your duplicate threads have been merged. Please avoid posting multiple threads on the same topic, since it creates extra work for the mods, extra clutter on the forum, and separates information which would be more useful all in one place.

Thankyou.

Well better late than never. The silicone method does work well but, if you want to remove the covers later you may be in EDITED . I have done this and one coil came out with the cover pulling out the start wire, a rewind was then called for.

A good thing really, as it made me dicide to start winding my own pickups which I have been doing for a year now with great results. I'll never buy a pickup again, but I digress.

The reason I decided to remove the cover was that as I have stated in another thread, metal covers seriously undermine your pickups tone, trust me. And yes, you do need to do more than just put it on as microphonic feedback will prevail. I would pot before ever using silly cone ever again. That stuff sets like glue and then after you get the cover off you will need to spend more time trying to remove all the mess you put on top off the pickup, thats if you can get it off in one piece.

So, save yourself all that trouble and leave the covers to those who don't care about their tone, them that sell em.

So, how 'bout you share with us your magic tone theory? Some of the best pickups I've ever played on, if not the best, have had covers on them. The best recordings ever from Clapton, Page, and Beck all featured guitars with covers on the pickups. Are you saying they had Bad Tone? I went from uncovered '59s in my Lester to covered PAF Classics and I must say the change was well worth it for me. So am I tone deaf like all those other guys, too?