The Dremel

Chris

Whilst at Home Depot today picking up a $15 Weller soldering iron, I noticed they are making the Dremel a little more beefy these days. They even had various accessories... One turned it into a router with it's own nice little stand and another turned it into a drill press. It seemed to me that these would be great accessories for certain jobs building and modding guitars. What's the general census on this tool and these accesories? I've seen Brian's cool tutorial on making a router stand for one.

I also notice several tools less than $100 dollars (mostly made by Ryobi) that seemed to be perfect for projects and were small enough to tuck away when finished. Gone are the days of having to get huge and expensive wood working tools I guess. I'm making my list :D

Yeah, I broke down and bought a Dremel about 2 weeks ago, they will work great for doing inlay work, binding, etc. But I wouldn't think you'd want to use them to route the pickup cavities.. unless you take your time. They sell a plunge type router base that I bought that theoretically would do the job.. but would take much longer than a good router. Just use a small straight router bit for taking out most the wood for a inlay job... and use small chisel or other tool to do the edges... or so far that's what works best from my experiments.. Hey while we are at it.. Maybe some other people can tell what they use a Dremel for also. I know there are alot of other things you can do with one, not only what I mentioned. What does anyone else use the Dremel for?

I started off doing all my binding channels with it, but now I use my router for body bindings, and the Dremel (still) for headstock binding channels.

I use the Stew-Mac router base.

I also use it to polish fretboards and frets, using the red polishing compound for the frets. You could brush your teeth on 'em! I use the white flannel buffing wheel for those.

I also use it to remove the lacquer from the frets after I shoot a Maple neck, using the white bullet-shaped hard cloth bit.

I used it to route out the wood for the side-mounted strat jackplate on the Rhoads Shark.

But the most important function it serves for me is the ability to cleanly and sharply route out the Fender-styled 5-way switch slot (I don't use pickguards) on the body top, also using the router base as a guide. I double-stick a straight-edge down on the body and let the dremel router base glide along it for a perfectly straight cut for the switch opening.

Man, and you made that awesome V with that?! Hats off, Wes! :D

thank you.yes i did the v with nothing but the dremel,a jigsaw,a handheld 3/8 drill,and a skilsaw for the straight cuts.plus lots of sandpaper.now i have a bench sander too.

but the bearings on my dremel are getting worn out so it's not as accurate as it was.and the plastic base is crap too.the stewmac one looks like better quality.

when i made my first guitar body(a bolt on,i put it in the closet and am now trying to complete it.)i didn't have a base for it so i routed the neck pocket and pickup cavity freehand.believe it or not it came out well.it will be finished in a month or so and then you can see it.