Baritone Guitars

TheCross

You might want to consider a 27-28" scale 7-string if you still have any concerns about the sound. I don't have a real baritone but my 7-string does a fair job with light .070-.010 strings. It is amazing how much difference 2 1/2" makes in hand position! I need to try a real baritone again to remember how the things sound compared to it.

7-strings used to ROCK!! :D

For the record, a baritone instrument is one that sounds one octave lower than the regular one.

In the case of guitars the reason for the extended scale is to be able to use heavier gauge and increase the string tension. On my 25" scale 7 string the tension of the B string is about right using 60's, anything lighter and it is too low. On an extended scale ( like 27"), a 52-54 string can be tuned down to A and still maintain a decent tension.

For the record, a baritone instrument is one that sounds one octave lower than the regular one.

In the case of guitars the reason for the extended scale is to be able to use heavier gauge and increase the string tension. On my 25" scale 7 string the tension of the B string is about right using 60's, anything lighter and it is too low. On an extended scale ( like 27"), a 52-54 string can be tuned down to A and still maintain a decent tension.

I don't really understand the link between first and second part of your post... Baritone guitars are tuned to A most of the times or am I mistaken? That's not an octave lower... Or is "baritone" a term which was used incorrectly (like "tremolo") when it came to electric guitar?

'Baritone' isn't a well-defined instrument. There are 'baritones' tuned to low E, most are tuned to either A or B these days, though. There is no 'correct' way to use it, I don't think.

Honestly, a regular guitar should probably be a 'baritone', in the continuum between Tenor guitars and Bass guitars; sits between 'em.

HEY MATTIA!

Look what I have found: A carbon fibre supllier in Germany with real good prices...

can you tell me if those rods are usable for necks(dimension-wise)?

http://www.bolek-modelltechnik.de/shop/pi-...tm?categoryId=3

Hmm. They're all a bit on the tiny side. The ones I use (rectangular stock) are about 9mm tall x 3mm wide, give or take, which is significantly larger than any of those. There's a US source that has them in the right sizes for about 7 bucks each, give or take.

HEY MATTIA!

Look what I have found: A carbon fibre supllier in Germany with real good prices...

can you tell me if those rods are usable for necks(dimension-wise)?

http://www.bolek-modelltechnik.de/shop/pi-...tm?categoryId=3

Hmm. They're all a bit on the tiny side. The ones I use (rectangular stock) are about 9mm tall x 3mm wide, give or take, which is significantly larger than any of those. There's a US source that has them in the right sizes for about 7 bucks each, give or take.

and that source would be....?

aren't there any EU suppliers?

http://www.jameswattsguitars.com/LAC.htm

He can probably do custom lengths for you as well. I've not found any EU suppliers that'll do the sizes I want for a price I like; there are places in every country that'll do CF products, but unless they happen to have the right sizes as standard, getting them to pultrude/lay up stuff in custom sizes is an absurdly expensive undertaking.

http://www.jameswattsguitars.com/LAC.htm

He can probably do custom lengths for you as well. I've not found any EU suppliers that'll do the sizes I want for a price I like; there are places in every country that'll do CF products, but unless they happen to have the right sizes as standard, getting them to pultrude/lay up stuff in custom sizes is an absurdly expensive undertaking.

sad. so what's the shipping etc to europe? do you get those 15° angled ones for running into the headstock? aren't they too thick to do that? I don't see a problem running them through my probably pretty thick padouk neck but the headstock is rather thin... so I guess I'll need an ebony laminate for the headstock to cover things up...

which ones do you use for the baris?

what to you think about the CF tubes from that german page? the largest is 5,0x3,0/1,0x1000 mm (15g/m)

Edited by TheCross

sad. so what's the shipping etc to europe? do you get those 15° angled ones for running into the headstock? aren't they too thick to do that? I don't see a problem running them through my probably pretty thick padouk neck but the headstock is rather thin... so I guess I'll need an ebony laminate for the headstock to cover things up...

which ones do you use for the baris?

what to you think about the CF tubes from that german page? the largest is 5,0x3,0/1,0x1000 mm (15g/m)

Tubes might be fine. Be a little less stiff than the rectangular, taller thing, but would add significant stiffness. Just need to get a round-bottomed veining bit to get them to fit it right, so it's a bit more work.

I run CF to the headstock if I'm doing a headstock veneer, and just use regular length stuff, no pre-cut angle, and cut the excess off myself. Not difficult with a hand saw.