Springback Questiion

i bent the sides for my tenor uke project today..i'm using a hand bender and mold board..they clamp perfectly into the mold board but spring just a bit out of shape when i remove them..even after a little spot heating and bending. my question is this.. if i clamp the sides into the mold board, glue the neck and tail block in, set the neck and then glue the top and back on while everything is still in the mold board will the little bit of spring back cause any problems?

and one other question please..i just spent over an hour trying to find an on-line tutorial about making and fine tuning guitar braces. if you know of one i'd appreciate a heads up and if not could someone recommend what you consider the best book available on acoustic building that includes detailed brace info.

thanks

How much springback? I've found cooking my sides and letting them cool while clamped to the bending form, then moving them to the mold, works quite well. I get some springback, maybe 1/4" on each end, but not much more than that.

As for tuning guitar braces...check the MIMF library's discussions on tuning/voicing soundboards (use the catalog, not the search function), and see if you can dig up Dana Bourgeouis' voicing article. Lots of mojo there. I don't think anyone's got an easy, explainable way re: tap tuning/voicing that comes across well in writing. Maybe Al Carruth's explanations of chaldni/glitter patterns (using a signal generator) come closest...

How much springback? I've found cooking my sides and letting them cool while clamped to the bending form, then moving them to the mold, works quite well. I get some springback, maybe 1/4" on each end, but not much more than that.

As for tuning guitar braces...check the MIMF library's discussions on tuning/voicing soundboards (use the catalog, not the search function), and see if you can dig up Dana Bourgeouis' voicing article. Lots of mojo there. I don't think anyone's got an easy, explainable way re: tap tuning/voicing that comes across well in writing. Maybe Al Carruth's explanations of chaldni/glitter patterns (using a signal generator) come closest...

goode morning Mattia..1/4" is about what i've got too..i guess i was worried that it had to be perfect. and i'm doing something similar to what you described..just before i clamped the side into the mold i spritzed it one more time and heated it to let it cool in the mold.

i completely forgot about the mimf library..i'll check there today.

thanks