Strings Return Flat After A Dive On Floyd

Whenever I dive with my floyd, the strings return flat (sometimes the G and D come back sharp). THIS IS AFTER I TUNE UP AFTER A DIVE!!!

The guitar was going even more out of tune, but then I found out that the locking nut was loose so I tightened it. But the strings still come back flat...

Any answers?

Whenever I dive with my floyd, the strings return flat (sometimes the G and D come back sharp). THIS IS AFTER I TUNE UP AFTER A DIVE!!!

The guitar was going even more out of tune, but then I found out that the locking nut was loose so I tightened it. But the strings still come back flat...

Any answers?

a floyd rose is a floating trem system and when set up properly it is perfectly parallel to the top of the body of the guitar. i'd be willing to bet that yours is sitting at an upward angle and not flat. setting them up properly isn't rocket surgery but if you don't know how you might want to take it to a qualified tech who can set the tension properly. when setup they're very reliable and stay in tune pretty well.

good luck.

i second the knife edges,

1)how long have you had the trem

2)do you use it frequently and/or vigerously

2)is your trem an actual floyd rose or a licenced floyd rose

if the answers are yes yes and licenced ill bet its the knife edges

licenced floyd roses are often made of bras or steel the actual floyd roses are made from hardened still which does not prevent this but prolongs the time the knife edges will stay in tact.

another possibily is that the studs have come loose, this can happen more easily in basswood guitars as it is quite a sot wood. my advice would be to take the strings off, remove the springs and examine the trem for any faults

+1 on the knife edge thing. I got fed up with mine and blocked it off so now it's dive only. Keeps perfect tune now!

• 6 months later...

bust out the ruler and measure the trem plate to see if it is level with the body. if its pulling back to teh body tuen teh strings up about 25 cent. then take tension off the springs in teh back (only a little at a time untill you are about the pitch you like) do this untill its at teh same angle as the body.

if the plate is pulled up then do what i said in cemetry or something? what i like to do is take how many dimes (the 10 cent piece haha) and stack 'em under teh bridge untill it is at the same angle as the body. (this is with all of your strings on the guitar) tune to the tuning you use if they dont fall out when you get to the pitch you use with all of the strings, take some tension off the springs in the back. (if they fall out before all of this then tighten the spirngs untill the tremolo rests on the dimes, also remember to detune the strings if you dont want them to break hah) just keep in mind you want to do this untill the coins JUST start to come loose then lock the nut and fine tune.

i do this all the time with my kramer and it will stay in perfect tuning except for the G string for a couple weeks at a time, but since i have a cheaper licensed floyd rose on it i can pul the tremolo back to raise teh pitch and it will go out of tune becasue it wont come back to the zero degree mark, but to fix this i just lower the pitch with the bar in a dive bomb and it come back to the pitch on all strings.

well i type too much so later guys send me a message or ill check back here to see if i left anything out

peace nukkas