Weird idea

canuckguitarist

Could you route out the control cavity of a guitar large enough to put one of those headphone amps in, then have a hole drill through the top or side of the guitar as an output jack for headphones. I don't see why this wouldn't work, my only concern would be whether the headphone amp would be small enough. The only otther problem is that having a regular output and a headphone output could be confusing. Any thoughts?

Aaron

You could just put the lil' amp in a box and clip it on your guitar strap.

I have one of those I got from Borut, it would fit inside a cavity with some work.

I think at that point though I would use a stereo jack and have a toggle so I could switch between regular signal for an outside amp or headphones.

You could just put the lil' amp in a box and clip it on your guitar strap.

I have one of those I got from Borut, it would fit inside a cavity with some work.

I think at that point though I would use a stereo jack and have a toggle so I could switch between regular signal for an outside amp or headphones.

By far the best suggestion so far.

I wonder what would happen if you accidently ran the headphone amp into the guitar amp. :D Kaboom?

• 6 months later...

why not use it as a preamp and runout the guitar jack, and that way if you wanted to use it as a distortion preamp into a head you could do that also, i ahd a friend do that with the little marshall ms2

personally i just miss my little yamaha with the zoom9000s i put in it. i cracked the body while attempting to put a bass preamp into it, so i just cut it out with a dremel and a little electric homemade saw and wedged the little wedge in there. funny thing is wheni finished making the support for it [ie the fx unit i made the little brace that held in place with brass and steel pieces i had lying around] it had a better sustain on the high strings anyway, once i figured how to rewire the 8 pin tlelphone type jack for controlling pacthes and up and down and bypass i was in seventh heaven. detuning and such, hmm think i will get another on now, that i think about it i have an extra body down in the car

I purchased an FM Radio transitter from the local electronics store. It ran from a 9V battery. I modified this devide by changing the input (microphone) to the jack. By selecting a specific pickup combination allowed me to turn the transmitter on and off. I set it to operate at a specific frequency on the FM band on the radio.

The end result was I did not need an amp to listen to my playing. Listed to my guitar through the radio on my stereo, and if I wanted to I plugged in headphones.

A big positive with this is you have a cordless connection to the radio.

If you go down this path make sure there is a channel available on the FM band that wont interfere with other signals.

Cheers

Steven

wire them both to a switch, one side = headphones, the other = amp. they'd be labeled, of course, like an LP pickup selector switch. that way, one jack, a lot less fuss.