Noooo! :-( ... Broken Headstock

If you find the titebond too thikc you can thin it a little with water, but only a tiny amount, or you'll compromise the strength.

Bad advice! Thinning the glue with water will weaken the bond. Use the right product. The chair doctor glue is better than CA or epoxy for cracks like this one.

Sorry, but why would that be? Chair doctor works by swelling the wood, doesn't it? Titebond is tried and tested, and I wouldn't start using a product designed for ill-fitting furniture joints on something critical like a headstock.

No offence.

My post says that the chair doctor is better than CA or Epoxy. I didn't say it was better than Titebond - Its just better than titebond thinned out with water.

I've used the Chair Doctor glue on tight fitting joints that needed repair and never had problems with the wood swelling up (as long as its properly clamped). Its just a thin wood glue, that's all. It comes with a seringe which helps for application.

I'm sure that using pure (non-thinned) titebond by working it in the joint would be just as good or better

Edited by guitar2005

I clamped the guitar body upside down to my bench, then used another clamp on the back of the headstock to carefully apply constant, controlable pressure to it and prise the gap open [no friend handy :) ].

Just wanted to say that I think this was a great solution to the problem, cheers for that!

As far as CA is concerned...I always thought it was supposed to harden more or less instantly (the fault of those commercials with the guy in the hardhat, I'm guessing), but I've actually found that there's a significant amount of time before it hardens --at least a minute. Granted, I don't have much experience with CA yet.

The more CA, the longer it takes to harden. And no, it's not instantaneous, not unless you accelerate it slightly (alkaline stuff does it; a dusting of baking soda, blown off, can 'kick' CA glues as well as spray-bottle accelerators; it's why the 'baking soda and CA in a nut slot' trick works so well, sets up immediately).