Firebird

Hi, im starting to make a friend a firebird 1 reverse, ive got a few things to sort out first though. He plays a strat but loves the look of the firebird. We were hoping to have a alternative bridge to a tuneomatic, one thats non trem. He finds tunomatics too high off the body and wants that strat feel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thx.

Hi, im starting to make a friend a firebird 1 reverse, ive got a few things to sort out first though. He plays a strat but loves the look of the firebird. We were hoping to have a alternative bridge to a tuneomatic, one thats non trem. He finds tunomatics too high off the body and wants that strat feel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thx.

You don't have to use a tuneamatic, just use a strat-style hardtail. Then you don't have to worry about angling the neck --that gets set like a strat.

But you can use a tuneamatic too --just recess into the body a bit, and again, no need for a neck angle.

Basically, it's the bridge that decides these things.

Thanks Mickguard

I was thinking about the strat-style hardtail bridge, but im not sure if that would look odd ? I was hoping there was a vintage looking bridge that might seem more in-keeping with the firebird's style. Your idea about recessing the tuneomatic seems a good idea, will look into that for now. But if anyone does know of a cool looking bridge pls let me know. ty

I agree you can use many different bridges. Khaler has a non trem bridge but with all of the cool adjustment features that you could ever need ie string spacing, hight,and intonation. Also recessing a TOM bridge is a great look and works well. Good luck!!!!!!!!!! :D

I think recessing a tom is a great idea, thanks for that you guys ! :D

how to do that? :D

using a router and make a small mould for it..... how did should that be? the same for the tailpiece? can I use a string through body construction with that? would be pretty flat though...

I really like a TOM as well but I'm teased to try something different...

Yes, you rout away under the bridge. How Big? Just to accommodate the bridge and the bushings. A tailpiece is a little harder to use but should be possible. Most people tend to use ferules and a string through construction. StewMac sells ferules for both the back and the top

Have a look at Godin Guitars. They use it a lot

The last guitar i made i used ferules, and to be honest i dont like them, but think i might have to use them on this guitar. Gunna keep on drawing this firebird until im happy with the way it looks, im lucky as it not ment to be a exact copy.

What do you think about the feeling when you are palm muting on a guitar with a TOM compared to say a strats trem ? Im still trying to get used to a TOM. If the TOM is recessed, i guess it may feel better ??

Yes, you rout away under the bridge. How Big? Just to accommodate the bridge and the bushings. A tailpiece is a little harder to use but should be possible. Most people tend to use ferules and a string through construction. StewMac sells ferules for both the back and the top

Have a look at Godin Guitars. They use it a lot

I like the Godin design... but their top string-trhough holes looked rather tricky.... did you try to to it that way? I'd love to do it like that...

I knew about the StewMac thing... though I don't won't to start an SM order just for 6 top ferrules... for the godin style I'll need some of those non-lip ones to recess them into the body as well... sounds like a hell of a work but like fun as well...

Edited by TheCross