Locking Nut Problem

Sorry if this is a dumb question....I've searched the forum and found that it is dumb to use a regular nut with a floyd rose bridge. But what about the opposite? Is there anything wrong with using a neck that has locking nut if there is not a tremelo? Can I remove a neck from a floyd equipped guitar and put in on a body with a tune-o-matic/stopbar setup? I'm a newbie and not sure if this would work..... :D

Edited by shredgtrfan

Sorry if this is a dumb question....I've searched the forum and found that it is dumb to use a regular nut with a floyd rose bridge. But what about the opposite? Is there anything wrong with using a neck that has locking nut if there is not a tremelo? Can I remove a neck from a floyd equipped guitar and put in on a body with a tune-o-matic/stopbar setup? I'm a newbie and not sure if this would work..... :D

Well, it's pretty difficult to tune up a guitar with a locking nut if you don't have fine tuners at the bridge. So you'd need something like this.

But as long as you can fine tune, I don't see a problem. It might be possible to remove the locking nut and replace it with a roller nut, or fill in the holes and use a regular nut too.

The problem, however, comes in trying to mix and match parts --it doesn't always work.

For example, the radius of the bridge needs to match the radius of the neck --so you'd have to correct for this (I guess notching the saddles differently would work?)

And you'll want to make sure that the neck will fit the neck pocket and that the bridge is placed at the proper scale length-- not a big deal if you're building your own body though. But a huge problem if you're trying to fit the neck into an already routed body.

Thanks for the help. I'm new to building and don't have the right tools to make a tremelo cavity (or the money for a floyd type bridge :D ). Thought taking a neck from one guitar might be cheaper and easier....but it still sounds complicated getting a special kind of bridge. I think I'll just wait until I can find/make a neck with a regular nut. Thanks again. :D

Another very simple option is to just remove to locking pieces and use it as a regular nut. Not the best looking, but it will work just fine. This is actually exactly what I am doing on my first build. I bought the neck I wanted originally planning on using a FR bridge and later decided that I wanted to use a TOM just to keep the cost down and to make it a little simpler. But the neck came routed and drilled for a locking nut. So I am just using the locking nut without the locks. I may play around trying to use the locks and tune it still.