Deas What To Do With This, Lp Style Body And Spruce Top

Hi, could do with some idea's please. I shaped a LP style body, but i think im going to make it a double cut away (im a sucker for the old melody maker style guitars). Then i thought, 'why dont i use that spruce as a top and make a semi'. Ive always wanted one so what the hell. I found the spruce at car boot sale, it was being used as a homemade drawing board. Needless to say it was VERY cheap.

Here is a pic of both top and bottom, do you think its going to be ok if i carve and bind it ?? Idea's pls all are welcome. Will the body be too thick ?

Picture012.jpg

Inspiration = http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jim.../Picture013.jpg

sapele and spruce top = http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jim.../Picture007.jpg

thx !

Ideas deas ah well ! :D

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of semis have laminated or maple tops (that picture doesn't look like spruce to me, more like flatsawn maple); proper archtop archtops have spruce tops, but not most semis.

Either way, should look cool. Probably don't want to try staining the spruce, though; tinted lacquer, yes, stain is...trickier. Thickness is fine IF you chamber the heck out of it; Sapele is heavy. Otherwise I'd shoot for a max overall thickness of 1.75"-2.25"

Thanks Mattia, maybe i shold get back to the timber yard and look for somthing else to put on as a top. Its not far up the road i was up there yesterday they had; am walnut, english walnut, maple, Ebony, Padauk, Panga Panga, ash and a lot more too. You have got me thinking about putting on a nice american walnut top on instead.

Im pleased you mentioned the thickness, i will post more pics later maybe you could keep an eye on me as im a noob really. This is going to just be a bit of fun for myself so what the heck.

cheers.

Thanks Mattia, maybe i shold get back to the timber yard and look for somthing else to put on as a top. Its not far up the road i was up there yesterday they had; am walnut, english walnut, maple, Ebony, Padauk, Panga Panga, ash and a lot more too. You have got me thinking about putting on a nice american walnut top on instead.

Im pleased you mentioned the thickness, i will post more pics later maybe you could keep an eye on me as im a noob really. This is going to just be a bit of fun for myself so what the heck.

cheers.

Oh, I wouldn't say 'get something else'; Spruce is a perfectly great tonewood, and (f'r example) David Myka has spruce-topped semis. It's a soft-ish wood, so it might dent, but it makes a great instrument.

However, walnut can make a nice top as well; I'm quite partial to the look of English Walnut...or Claro.

English walnut is great stuff very nice looking, ive not really seen too many people using it on guitars. Its fairly light, good looking and easy to work. I was lucky enough to buy this chunk of english walnut last year, its about 60mm thick.

Picture006.jpg

When i went to the timber yard yesterday there was loads of english walnut just like in that pic. I think that chunk in the pic coast me about £40. I will send you some if you like ?

Do u think i shoud use that as a top ? Im still drawing the guitar to scale size and i think im going to have at least a week to think about it anyway. Hmmm spruce or walnut ???

Mattia have you ever used english walnut for making necks ?

BTW here is a better pic of the soft top.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jim.../Picture006.jpg

When i went to the timber yard yesterday there was loads of english walnut just like in that pic. I think that chunk in the pic coast me about £40. I will send you some if you like ?

Niiiiice. I think it's underutilized because (oddly) it's often more expensive than American walnut, even over here. And most guitars you see are made in the US, like. As for the wood, I think I might PM you. Have no cash right now, but invoices are coming in...

Thanks for your replies !

Hmmm spruce or walnut ???

I say both! :D

No seriously, build both :D

Think that's what i will do, hardtop first then the spruce.

Well, if your spruce top is in good shape, why not? You could try a real cool archtop with that!

Maybe i will save the spruce for now, do a hardwood top first. Im sure that a hardwood top will be easyer to carve, would be good to have a little experience before the spruce top.

Niiiiice. I think it's underutilized because (oddly) it's often more expensive than American walnut, even over here. And most guitars you see are made in the US, like. As for the wood, I think I might PM you. Have no cash right now, but invoices are coming in...

Just let me know, if i go back up there i will pm u a pic of the wood available. Its odd am walnut here (U.K) is way too expensive, in fact i would say its almost silly money, but its so darn nice.

Just let me know, if i go back up there i will pm u a pic of the wood available. Its odd am walnut here (U.K) is way too expensive, in fact i would say its almost silly money, but its so darn nice.

Do you mean American Black Walnut, or American Claro Walnut, out of curiosity? I've never seen any Claro here, but American Black is about the same price as Honduran here, and European (not English per se) Walnut a cut above. Anyway, sending PM...

Ive just been up to the timber yard again, they are giong to try and rip down some english walnut for me today. I will be up there again tomorrow so fingers crossed. The band saw they have is massive i would say its about 30 foot high a real monster. They have problems cutting anything less than 20mm thick, i was told that a smaller bandsaw should do the trick for accoustic sides and backs. I wanted a load of english walnut ripped down for accoustic sides and backs, but they refused to do it.

I can post some pics for anyone that wants to take a look at the timber selection, will try to do that later.

I dont mind sending some timber out, paypal is ok. But remember im in the UK and if you want it sent to a different country the postage might be a shock. The timber will have to be sent out in a chunk and the machining would have to be done by you.

I will only be able to do this for a few people, sorry but i dont have that much time. I would like to help out some of you guys here as a thank you for all the info on this site.

Do you mean American Black Walnut, or American Claro Walnut, out of curiosity? I've never seen any Claro here, but American Black is about the same price as Honduran here, and European (not English per se) Walnut a cut above. Anyway, sending PM...

I was thinking American Black Walnut, i just saw a 8' lenght, 6" wide 1" thick peice of black walnut for about £30, i was not that good looking. Seemed a lot of money to me.

Will pm you mattia, with some pic's, later today.

Ive just been up to the timber yard again, they are giong to try and rip down some english walnut for me today. I will be up there again tomorrow so fingers crossed. The band saw they have is massive i would say its about 30 foot high a real monster. They have problems cutting anything less than 20mm thick, i was told that a smaller bandsaw should do the trick for accoustic sides and backs. I wanted a load of english walnut ripped down for accoustic sides and backs, but they refused to do it.

I can post some pics for anyone that wants to take a look at the timber selection, will try to do that later.

I dont mind sending some timber out, paypal is ok. But remember im in the UK and if you want it sent to a different country the postage might be a shock. The timber will have to be sent out in a chunk and the machining would have to be done by you.

Sounds good to me! Also, if you can wait a little (say 2 months or so, most likely; need to get the bandsaw delivered, practice a bit on cheaper woods before commiting to walnut) I'd be willing to do some resawing for you if you can't find anyone in the UK to do it. Have big bandsaw coming, see :-)

I'll keep my eye on my inbox.

Mattia

Well i might have to take you up on that offer, sounds like a great excuse to goto Amsterdam again. Maybe also get some tips from you too. Talk about inviting myself, LOL.

I will GIVE you the wood for a days training. hehe.

As long as I'm free, I'm up for it ;-)