Frustration Overload!

wdwrkr4

I'm a newbie to wiring. I can't get any string sound when I try wiring even just a volume pot to the custum guitar that my son and I just built. If I wire the 2 emg humbuckers directly to the output jack, I get great sound from the guitar. (sans volume and tone control of course). If I try wiring even one pot into the equation, all I get is hum, no string sound at all. At the simplest level I am wiring the white pickup wire to the right tab of the pot the white output to the jack at the middle tab, and the ground to the output jack to the left tab. The black ground from the pickup to the top of the pot. All I get is hum. I don't know what to do! Someone please help!

Thanks,

wdwrkr4

First of all, we need to know what the various wires from your humbuckers are, if you have any literature that came with them, reference that. However, if you've got your pickup wires correctly identified, it seems as though your problem can be fixed by simply soldering a jumper(wire) from the lug that you've got your ground going to, to the back of the pot. As it stands, the pickup's ground wire is not recieving a ground signal, as it is the only wire soldered to the back of the pot.

peace,

russ

First of all, we need to know what the various wires from your humbuckers are, if you have any literature that came with them, reference that. However, if you've got your pickup wires correctly identified, it seems as though your problem can be fixed by simply soldering a jumper(wire) from the lug that you've got your ground going to, to the back of the pot. As it stands, the pickup's ground wire is not recieving a ground signal, as it is the only wire soldered to the back of the pot.

peace,

russ

Thanks, I'm going to try that now and see what happens. It makes sense so I'll let you know. Thanks again.

wdwrkr4

im not an expert with emgs so you may want to look here

but some other things you may want to check are;

are you using 25k pots emg's require these as opposed to 250k or 500k pots

look for short circuits, if your guitar is shielded make sure that the shield isnt touching anything aboart from ground

check for other mistakes you seem to be focusing on the pot is it possible you have wired the output to the wrong lug (ie hot and ground are the wrong way around on the jack)

check you have folowed al these steps more often than not its one of those "doh!" moments

and at the end of the day theres always tech support tech@emgpickups.com

but im sure there are some guys in this forum who can help fix this problem

peace,

russ

Thanks, I'm going to try that now and see what happens. It makes sense so I'll let you know. Thanks again.

wdwrkr4

Thanks alot. I was able to get it to work after running a wire from the ground lug to the top of the pot like advised. I still get shorting SOMEWHERE ocassionally I think the jack although I've tried 3 new ones and they all seem to short when I jiggle the cord. Neither pot seemed to do what it was supposed to until I began pushing on the lugs which seemed to make the wipper work. I put the control cavity plate back on (gingerly) and it seems to perform as it should. I wonder if my ancient soldering iron has damaged the jack and/or pots with excessive heat. But works for now will readdress later when I'm not so stressed out! Thanks again for the help,

wdwrkr4

try bending the contact inwards this can help conectivity between the jack and the tip of the cord, this usualy needs to be done on guitars once in a while as its part of general wear an tear, always loop the cord though the strap to minimize this