Router Dust And Chip Collector

MP63

I am looking to solve a router dust poblem.

Since I am getting more sensitive to wood dust, I need a place to do my routing, besides my little shop (garage) room. The dust floating around and settling on everything, is becoming so much of a problem for me. Is there anything out there that is able to catch the waste from the handheld router right from the source?

Anything like a small table-top enclosure that will keep the mess to the router area without going the route of an industrial collector?

Any, and all, ideas welcomed. Give me all you homemade contraptions!

The only idea I could think of that would completely isolate the chips, was something like those little sandblasting units. The ones where you work through the walls with sealed gloves. Is this too much?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by MP63

There are some router bases that have a dust collection outlet that will fit a shop vac hose.

I do all my routing outside, but it is a pain to sweep up off the concrete, not to mention covering up my work so I can't see what I'm doing. :D But next time I will try to strategically place the shop vac hose close enough to suck up the renderings but still out of the way. I might even go as far as screwing a strap onto my worktable to hold the end of the hose.

If your router doesn't have a built on port for attachinga shop vac or dust collector, you could attach a larger bass plate, and add an attachment for a dust collector on there.

Be aware, suction will not catch anywhere near everything, but the one time you forget to turn the vac on, you WILL notice the difference :D

My Trend router has a funnel type thing for a shop vac to attach to, and it just spits out chips and dust if its clear. Should I attach a bag or could I even use my Dyson (it fits on the end perfectly)? The dust is coating everything in my garage with dust, and it gets everywhere.

My Trend router has a funnel type thing for a shop vac to attach to, and it just spits out chips and dust if its clear. Should I attach a bag or could I even use my Dyson (it fits on the end perfectly)? The dust is coating everything in my garage with dust, and it gets everywhere.

Dyson. The bag's going to do diddly.

(and you're wearing a respirator, right? Your lungs look kinda like your shop, otherwise)

I wear a dust mask yes, and I'll try the Dyson next time I do some routing (I might try it out tomorrow). I mean I just wondered if there was anything preventing me from using it.