Jazz Bass Pickup Routing - Help!

Hi, I've just registered, so not sure if this is the right place to discuss this topic.

Anyway, I'm having problems accurately creating a template for routing Jazz Bass pickups. My current thinking is to do a two-part template. The first one cuts the rectangle, and this is removed and replaced with another template to cut the ears. There must be an easier way to do it!!

I've seen Stew Macdonald has acrylic templates and a 1/4" bearing guied cutter to match. But do you think I can find the same cutter from Trend or Titman? WD also do acrylic templates and a 3/8" bearing guided bit

How do you guys do it? What I want is one template to do the whole process, but I can't get my head round what cutter(s) I need.

Thanks

Ian

How about brad point bits to do the "ears"....they're semicircles - just choose a bit that has the same radius. Then do a rectangle on top of that (which will incorporate the half of the brad-point bit circle that isn't the "ear")

I hope that I've explained that clearly enough without diagrams.

Cheers,

Brian.

How about brad point bits to do the "ears"....they're semicircles - just choose a bit that has the same radius. Then do a rectangle on top of that (which will incorporate the half of the brad-point bit circle that isn't the "ear")

I hope that I've explained that clearly enough without diagrams.

Cheers,

Brian.

+1

Always start with drilling the round bits (ie, corners, anything else) with either a brad point or a forstner bit, depending on what's appropriate for the size.