Floyd Route & Prs Headstock

Hello folks....I need some help! I was steered here from Warmoth. I have a original lo pro floyd rose that I want to use on a warmoth body. Problem is they offer a original floyd recessed and a schaller recessed...bummer no lo pro! The orignal floyd route would work only there would be too much wood exposed since the lo pro is a bit shorter .My thinking was the schaller may fit well. However...I need some specs on an actual schaller recessed route to determine for sure. I 've searched this site and came up short thus far....warmoth actually gives the specs for the actual unit but not the route.UGHHHHH! Next I want a PRS headstock shape. I need a diagram if anyone has one...crossing my fingers! I don't have access to a prs at the momment for measurment. Thought of going to guitar center but I think they would bug if I got out a pencil and proceeded to pull off the tuners! Hope ya can help!!!

Thanx

Tom

Can you route the cavity yourself? That would save you all the trouble of getting the info. As for the head stock you could use a good photo and use the nut dimension to scale the photo to the correct size. If you can't do that then you could still trace the design at guitar center. Just push the tunners through the paper not perfect but it will get you close....

Good luck

Mike

yeh, i was thinking about replacing my shoddy trem but can even find diagrams for schaller routes. btw make up your own version of a PRS-styled headstock design

Not to knock schaller but in my opinion the original floyd is better...now the lo pro ....better yet! I need the prs headstock diagram still as a reference. I don't have the tools or experience to conquer it myself. That being the case I have to have an exact diagram of my headstock design,tuner placement etc. so warmoth can perform the task. Anybody out there with some help???

I have to have an exact diagram of my headstock design,tuner placement etc. so warmoth can perform the task.

Warmoth will not do a custom headstock for you if your design is a copy of PRS (or any other patented shape that they're not licensed for).

They will sell you a paddlehead neck, and you can cut out whatever headstock shape you want - which is what I ended up doing:

nitroheadstock1.JPG

Mike

I have to have an exact diagram of my headstock design,tuner placement etc. so warmoth can perform the task.

Warmoth will not do a custom headstock for you if your design is a copy of PRS (or any other patented shape that they're not licensed for).

They will sell you a paddlehead neck, and you can cut out whatever headstock shape you want - which is what I ended up doing:

nitroheadstock1.JPG

Mike

Thanx Mike.........Warmoth will do the headstock long as you supply the diagram of the so called custom work. They just can't whoop up a prs headstock for licensed reasons.Again they'do anything you want long as you supply the plans...and ofcourse pay them the extra custom expense. BTW....very nice headstock! Did you do the pearl inlay yourself??

Warmoth will do the headstock long as you supply the diagram of the so called custom work. They just can't whoop up a prs headstock for licensed reasons.Again they'do anything you want long as you supply the plans...and ofcourse pay them the extra custom expense. BTW....very nice headstock! Did you do the pearl inlay yourself??

Actually, if it's too close of a copy they won't do it, even if you supply the diagram. I gave them a PRS layout and it was vetoed by Mr. Warmoth himself.

Thanks - yes, I did my own abalone inlay - my first attempt at doing inlay work. :D

edit: It's not that difficult to cut your own - just establish your center line and carefully copy your layout onto the paddlehead. Double-check your dimensions off the line to make sure it's centered/aligned/symmetrical before you start cutting. I used a coping saw and cleaned it up with a rasp and sandpaper. Much easier if you have a bandsaw or jigsaw handy. :D

Warmoth will do the headstock long as you supply the diagram of the so called custom work. They just can't whoop up a prs headstock for licensed reasons.Again they'do anything you want long as you supply the plans...and ofcourse pay them the extra custom expense. BTW....very nice headstock! Did you do the pearl inlay yourself??

Actually, if it's too close of a copy they won't do it, even if you supply the diagram. I gave them a PRS layout and it was vetoed by Mr. Warmoth himself.

Thanks - yes, I did my own abalone inlay - my first attempt at doing inlay work. :D

edit: It's not that difficult to cut your own - just establish your center line and carefully copy your layout onto the paddlehead. Double-check your dimensions off the line to make sure it's centered/aligned/symmetrical before you start cutting. I used a coping saw and cleaned it up with a rasp and sandpaper. Much easier if you have a bandsaw or jigsaw handy. :D

Wow!.I just spoke with a warmoth sales rep in regards to this yesterday. Only thing he implied was they can't do it without an actual diagram that I made. Man I hate to bash warmoth here cuz I truly love their craftsmanship but that's BS with a cap B! If that's the case where they can't do it for licensing reason then geez simply tell me so and don't send me on a wild goose hunt! You'd also think they could help me out with specs on the schaller route they offer. Afterall I would spending 800.00 and up on this new project..not to mention the thousands I spent before!I've bought quite a few necks and bodies through them over the years. One thing for certain I learned through all of it is they really don't sway from their options! If they do or will for that matter it will cost you dearly!!! :D I'm willing to do the headstock myself.....however I'll need a template for reference and confidence. Would'nt you have to have a picture where the camera angle was straight on??? My guess would be yes since that could screw up your measurments! How crucial is the tuner placement...do they have to be placed accurately or is their room for play? You can see some definite concern on my end where I'd need assurance. Last thing I want and dread happening is botching a 300.00 and up neck. B)

I had the same problem with the salesman not fully explaining their policy up front, but it was really my fault for not being clear that I was planning to do a PRS copy. I don't fault them for not wanting to copy anybody. I understand that they got a few calls from PRS when their VIP model was introduced. :D

Warmoth has had to cut back on the "custom shop" aspect of their business as they've morphed into more of a production house, in order to stay competitive in the marketplace. Used to be I could drop by their shop and talk face-to-face with them and put my hands on the actual product. Now it's just telephone/internet sales. But the quality is still excellent. I ended up doing my own mods to their standard VIP product to get the look I wanted.

Like I said, even if you draw it up, they won't do it if it's a copy, or close to it. The reason they insist on a hard copy full-scale drawing from you is to avoid communication problems that might result in you being dissatisfied with the final product. I'm guessing they learned this one the hard way.

I found a decent headstock pic and resized it to match the nut width, then I tweaked it from there until it looked right. It wasn't a straight-on shot, but it worked for me - mine's not an exact copy anyway. If you need an exact replica, best get a buddy to distract the sales people at Guitar Center while you trace the outline. :D I don't think they'd care all that much anyway.

It's best to get the tuners lined up so you get a straight path from the nut slot. Takes a bit of measuring and fiddling to get them just right. Again, make sure you reference the locations off your center line.

Mike

Thanks much for your input Mike! I'm going for the same plan you went with. For the money I think the VIP body is the way to go....3/4 book matched top...carved to boot...contoured heel...hollow option. I'm not a big fan of set necks or neck through.... limited setup and if she warps.....well your done! I'll keep my quest going for specs and info to aid my confidence cuz it sounds like I'm going to have to dive into this myself in order to please my needs....should be satsifying when done...however could be devastating if I screw up!.Nothing ventured nothin gained. BTW...great site here I'll have to say!!!

Geeeez Mike....check this out...1st search and bingo...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PRS_headstock.svg

Nice find!

Here's what a VIP can look like: mikhail's project

I recarved the lower cutaway (couldn't do the full PRS cut due to the hollow cavity), added the control knob recesses, and drilled for string-through. I had Warmoth place the index marks for the TOM bridge.

BTW - I spent the extra $150 for AAAAA flame. :D

Freagin gorgeous Mike! I see you use the ole pipe method to hold your work...I love it.I can turn my work like a chicken on a rotisarrie! I LOL when I saw the spray booth in the photo.....very similar if not exact to what I use. I've recently played with waterbase lacquer which abled me to shoot in the cellar during the winter months. used a portable heater to acclimate my temps. Only downfall I see with the waterbase lac is it seems to be a softer finish than nitro.BTW don't fool with nitro without an explosin fan........scary scary !...how the heck do ya attach a pix on here??? I'd be glad to share some of my finishing work.

You'll need to upload your pics to a server - if your ISP gives you storage, use that. Otherwise upload them to a picture hosting site like photobucket.com, etc.

Then you click on the insert image or insert link button when you compose your message. A box will pop up with a place to insert the url for your image.

I'm real careful to not allow the nitro fumes to build up to a hazardous level. I'm an electrician, so I'm familiar with proper explosion proof wiring. Some day when I build my garage I'll do a for real spray booth. But for now it's tarps and window fans and no open flames. :D

I don't recommend it for those who don't understand the hazards.