Home Made Jigss

• 4 weeks later...

Was it really nessacary to post this in multiple sections? Btw if you do a search i started this same exact thread a while ago and ppl post some stuff, look it up.

Unfortunately the search function won't search on anything shorter than 4 letters (so no EMG, PRS, jig, etc. searches). However, knowing that you were the topic starter makes it easy to find such a thread, which is what I'm looking for right now. :D

GBT

Ok, I looked up a couple of your previous topics. You should pick up a good book (Melvyn Hiscock's) on building. It would give you a handy reference tool as well as information on several jigs. I get the feeling that you may be trying to connect the dots, but it can be difficult unless you have a fairly complete reference tool at your disposal.

Peace,Rich

What, that it's required reading?

'Cause it is.

Exactly!

I read that book before building my first guitar and that was at least a year before stumbling on this site. Everyone who comes here asking questions inevitably gets told to read that book, so we might as well have a disclaimer...or would that be too gratuitous of a plug? lol

We really should have a disclaimer about "build your own electric guitar"...especially since he's a member of the site now :D

You mean, that's really him? I thought it was just a fan-type nickname....along the lines of Godin SD.

Anyway, the three coolest jigs I've seen here are Myka's neck pocket jig, Setch's thicknessing jig and Setch's carved top jig...

I haven't seen him :D . He has a lot to answer for, it's his fault I spend most of the day on here instead of working B)

Hello Melvin, loved the :D

Me too. But remember that he wrote that you should really think things thru before starting the first build because it is addictive. So you have been warned.

To Melvin: Thanks a lot. Still use that book for reference from time to time.

...and welcome. Glad to see you here.

We really should have a disclaimer about "build your own electric guitar"...especially since he's a member of the site now :D

You mean, that's really him? I thought it was just a fan-type nickname....along the lines of Godin SD.

Anyway, the three coolest jigs I've seen here are Myka's neck pocket jig, Setch's thicknessing jig and Setch's carved top jig...

Yeah, that's really him. Despite his Mythological Status (or possibly paleolithic, going by the dinosaur references) he really is just a human being, y'know..one with a lot to answer for!

As for the neck angle and thicknessing jig, I like xlr8's combination of both jigs-jig. And I'm totally building the carved top/indexed router doodad as well.

Mattia

I thought it was just a fan-type nickname....along the lines of Godin SD.

What are you trying to say by that? :D:D

I have not read his book, but I've looked through it in barnes and nobles and it deffinitly is a good book. I wish I had it when I started building. B)

Edited by Godin SD

• 5 weeks later...

[unfortunately the search function won't search on anything shorter than 4 letters (so no EMG, PRS, jig, etc. searches). However, knowing that you were the topic starter makes it easy to find such a thread, which is what I'm looking for right now. -_- GBT

Ditto on this one - the search engine leaves A LOT to be desired. Think of all the three letter topics you might search for such as "CAD" files or "jig". ACAD? That's what I've seen used as a substitute for CAD but that's hardly a standard acronym (I worked in printing for 12 years btw.) And, until you learn the lay of the land, you're going to ask questions that are "obvious" to the rest of us. It takes time. Its a big country here at Project Guitar... :D