Taylor Expression System

azz-230

It works complicatedly, results seem decidedly mixed (some love it, some hate it) and unless you're willing to spend a few thousand on research and development, experimentation, playing around with various pickups, preamps, etc. no, you can't make your own.

Just install one of the many excellent pickup systems out there, such as K&K, B-Band, any number of Fishman (Aura), D-tar, etc.

Based on live tones, the one system I'd really like to be able to buy aftermarket/OEM is the one Maton uses in their guitars. Tommy Emmanuel's live sound is fantastic. Much better than most 'plug in guitar' tones I've heard.

It almost looks like a mechanical pickup. Meaning a slug inside a coil that vibrates freely while the coil is connected to the body. The fluid throws me for a loop tho. Maybe a liquid to dampen the movement muchlike a shock absorber. The slug they put in on the video looks like it has a hole in it.

But this is all just what i gathered from the video.

What if it were the liquid that was ferro-magnetic? That could work somehow??

Anyways, That's VERY interesting... 2 mags that do a piezo's job and a mag under the fretboard... Awfully weird as far as usual acoustic pickups go, but if it's taylor, then it must sound good, there's no other way... :D

It almost looks like a mechanical pickup. Meaning a slug inside a coil that vibrates freely while the coil is connected to the body.

Sonds about right to me

they shouldnt be that hard to replicate then?

yeah i got no idea what that blue liquid is. Onaly about 3 drops in there tho

sonds like it whold be cheeper to make then a regular pickup

i may be way off tho

Based on live tones, the one system I'd really like to be able to buy aftermarket/OEM is the one Maton uses in their guitars. Tommy Emmanuel's live sound is fantastic. Much better than most 'plug in guitar' tones I've heard.

Is this it, Mattia? :D

Maton pickups

cheers all

It doesn't really matter much to me whether you've got a mag, piezo, or condenser system on your acoustic. Nothing's going to sound as good as a mic'd acoustic when you're recording--one mic off-axis to the soundhole and one on the fretboard. For live sound, it's a little more difficult to do that so onboard electronics are the answer. I think the classic Taylor condenser/piezo blend system is more than adequate for most live situations where the volume level and acoustics with the room are going to make a hi-fi amplified acoustic guitar sound impossible anyway.

Taylor ES sounds great, in theory....

In reality it's a pain in the butt and than some. It eats up batteries like thers no tomorrow and pickups up body noises really really badly (ie touching the top or moving your arm). and is a bugger to setup, it does sound decent when your finally get it working and sounding good, but not any better than any other system I've heard. I much prefer the older units taylor used to the ES. Every Taylor player I've talked to who owns the ES prefers the older Fishman pickups to the ES.

Personally some of the K&K stuff has been the best sounding I've ever heard.

Once I get around to building an acoutsic I'm going to stick in the trinity system that combines a mic, the 3 undersaddle pickups, and a blender preamp.

Currently I'm kind of cheating. I have a K&K soundboard transducer plugged into my takemine preamp so I still have my onboard tuner and EQ. It sounds worlds better than the standard takamine transducer.

I have one on my djembe too. Sounds great in that aplication also.

Edited by Godin SD