Vertical Routing Jig

But I ramble - is there a particular reason you want sharp cornered cavities?
Well, for example for the sharp corners of the bridge pickup of my (in)famous Telecaster.

telepickup7jr.jpg

The corners don't have to be "scary" sharp but they must not be rounded too because the rounding would force me into routing a bigger pickup cavity. And that's a bad thing.

So I guess, I'll have to route the thing with the bit, then grab a chisel and sharpen the corners.

Sounds like a messy job. :D

So I guess, I'll have to route the thing with the bit, then grab a chisel and sharpen the corners.

Sounds like a messy job. :D

No, it's not. Remember, you're chiseling wood--it's always going to be softer than the chisel. So as long as the chisel is sharp, it really does cut right through.

I find it really helps to have lines to work from --I don't know how the experts do it, I haven't used a chisel all that much.

Since I use pickguards, it's not as big of a deal if the edges are a little wobbly :D

You also have the option of a fretboard overhang for the neck pocket.

All the tele p'up routes I've seen have fairly rounded corners - I think you'd be fine as long as you didn't use an too large a diameter bit. Hog out the majority of the wood with a forstner bit and then clean up the route with the smaller router bit and you'd be fine.

"Scary sharp" refers to a sharpening method, using fine-grade sandpapers to hone your chisels/planes. Works really well, especially if you aren't comfortable keeping a stone up to snuff.

Chiselings really not that hard. I did the majority of my chiseling work for years with a low priced chisel from Sears that didn't really see any honing outside of being polished up on the diamond file on my leatherman. That said, a nicely honed and sharpened chisel works much better, and isn't that hard to work with. Safer too, a sharp blade requires less force and is less likely to slip as such. With a properly sharpened chisel, you probably won't even need a mallet. (Always use a mallet, or at least a soft-faced hammer [a plastic fretting hammer works well for me], not a heavy nail-driving hammer. And don't hammer on a paring chisel) With a nice chisel, it's really a slight cutting action - it's like using a knife to carve wood, you've just moved the cutting edge in relation to the handle.

And as always, if you aren't comfortable, practice on scrap. I dunno, I love chisels, I'm a huge proponent of chisels and handplanes in general.

I find it really helps to have lines to work from --I don't know how the experts do it, I haven't used a chisel all that much.

Since I use pickguards, it's not as big of a deal if the edges are a little wobbly :D

You also have the option of a fretboard overhang for the neck pocket.

I make that line with a marking knife or a scribe point. Gives the chisel something to "bite" into so you cut right on the line with your last cut.

I'm not being a proponent of sloppy work, but the pickguard thing brings up a good point - I've never seen that type of tele bridge p'up w/o the metal bridge plate - and I'm not sure I'd want to.

Also, looking at how obtuse those angles are, I'm not convinced that a standard bearing-guided router bit couldn't fit in there.

A good quality, sharp chisel is an absolute joy to use. And with the right tools, and touchups AS SOON AS the chisel goes the slightest bit dull, they're not hard to keep in that condition.

Also, sharp corners on the outsides of guitars can be done, ish, with a router, but are very likely to break/be damaged at the slightest bump. Not good. Sharp corners on cavity routes are absolutely unnecessary unless you're trying to show off your skill with a chisel. And if you're covering it with a Bridge (tele route) or pickguard or mounting righ, well...y'know. Besides, every actual humbucker I've seen? Rounded corners.

A good quality, sharp chisel is an absolute joy to use. And with the right tools, and touchups AS SOON AS the chisel goes the slightest bit dull, they're not hard to keep in that condition.

I use all types of powered toys during the day, but I've gotta say the chisels get the most work.

And the sharper the chisel, the SAFER it is to use too.

I always keep a fine grade handled diamond file in my nail bag , just so I can touch up the edges

before they become too blunt to cut a clean easy edge.

dia-sharps