Is Zachary Right?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mickguard, you realise music man has been using that 4x2 tuner config for a while, right? Granted, they normally use a string bar, but with graduated tuners, I bet you could manage without it.

Yeah, I know about the Music Man headstock--this guy's take on it is to put four tuners on the other side. His idea is that you keep the strings commonly used for chord voicings/whammy wang-doodlin' together on the same side.

But I think I prefer Music Man's --like I said, Byrd's headstock looks, well, backwards.

And I wondering if it's true, that putting the treble strings on the other side will make them more bendable--that way you'd have the ease of bending that you get with the Gibson scale even on a Fender scale.

It's not. Someone already explained the physics behind string bending and it was right on. Realistically, for a more even feel across the whole board, you'd want a reversed strat style headstock. Personally, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm quite happy with the feel of my 3x3 headstocks. Most of this type of nit-pickiness(mostly along the lines of tone voodoo and layman's "physics) makes me sick. I play and build what sounds and feels good to me, and that's all I need to know. It's an instrument, not the mars lander.

Oh, and while we're talking about avanti. Has anyone else noticed that his gallery is comprised primarily of pictures of his neck photoshopped onto computerized renderings of his bodies/pickguards? Maybe I'm wrong, but looking at the textures of the body compared to his necks, reflections, etc, that's what it appears to be to me.

And I wondering if it's true, that putting the treble strings on the other side will make them more bendable--that way you'd have the ease of bending that you get with the Gibson scale even on a Fender scale.

the treble strings, with a shorter 'off fretboard length' (lets call it 'dead' string) will be harder to bend, but will reach the desired pitch (while being bent) with less movement of the string.

The longer the string is, past the nut and saddle (for a tunomatic type), the easier it is to bend a string etc, but you need to move the string further to reach that note.

Same rings true with intonation. The further the tuner is from the nut, the less intonation needed to achieve a perfect octave at the 12th, compared to the same string guage and pitch on another guitar with all things equal, except for the 'dead' string length. Theoritically, if you could get a 'dead' string length of a couple yards, the intonation needed for the 6th (large E) string would be virtually unmeasurable (eg: almost zero saddle compensation from the actual "scale length").

Same rings true with intonation. The further the tuner is from the nut, the less intonation needed to achieve a perfect octave at the 12th, compared to the same string guage and pitch on another guitar with all things equal, except for the 'dead' string length. Theoritically, if you could get a 'dead' string length of a couple yards, the intonation needed for the 6th (large E) string would be virtually unmeasurable (eg: almost zero saddle compensation from the actual "scale length").

Ah now that's interesting...because the guitar I'm building is going to have a non-compensated wraparound, similar to the old 50s LP Jrs.

So if I'm using a 6-in-line headstock with the treble strings at the top (ie, a normal headstock), does this mean I'll have a better chance of getting these strings intonated?

I agree there's a lot of tinkering and tone voodoo going on with these guys...it's the part I enjoy. I like the idea that, because I'm building my own guitar, I can play around with these things. But for a lot of that, aesthetics are my first concern.

And yes, I noticed the Olsen Twins thing too. But they're legal now...

And yes, I noticed the Olsen Twins thing too. But they're legal now...

Yeah but how old are they in that photo... they're like 12 or something

anyway while were on that theme, I remembered reading this as a caption under a photo on his site :

Some of the close-ups of this guitar look really sexual to me.

:D

Although he does then go on to say:

The imagery is suggestive in a symbolic sense.

Yes, this is a very different guitar website.

Suppose you cant argue with that lest sentence!

So if I'm using a 6-in-line headstock with the treble strings at the top (ie, a normal headstock), does this mean I'll have a better chance of getting these strings intonated?

That bridge was designed to intonate correctly on a guitar which had 3+3 tuners. How well it works in your configuration is something im guessing we will all know soon after youve finished it :D

That bridge was designed to intonate correctly on a guitar which had 3+3 tuners. How well it works in your configuration is something im guessing we will all know soon after youve finished it B)

The bridge I'll be using looks more like this one (this is Pigtail's...mine's a Gotoh).

Gibson replaced this type of bridge with the compensated version (with the ridges)

So I suppose the question will be whether using a 6-inline with this bridge will make things worse --or make things better? :D:D

Mick just pointed out I've been quoted on Zachary's main page (with an unsurprisingly childish dig at my non-pro status and prediliction for posting lots to various forums).

I'm really quite amused :-D

You have every right to ask him to remove your quote from his website. It was used without your permission and not even back cited to this forum. All posts on web forums are the property of the poster, not some random yahoo who wants to use it on his site to slander the poster.

The picture is about as disgusting as the rest of his site. Nothing like putting up a picture of two cats pawing at a dead rat to bring in the customers.

You have every right to ask him to remove your quote from his website. It was used without your permission and not even back cited to this forum. All posts on web forums are the property of the poster, not some random yahoo who wants to use it on his site to slander the poster.

I doubt you'd get anywhere by asking nicely.. take a look at the 'idiot page', you reckon they all gave their permission? :D

Besides, if it were me I'd just let him put it there, it just serves to highlight his attitude problem- the majority of the people who read it will probably agree with Mattia!

I doubt you'd get anywhere by asking nicely.. take a look at the 'idiot page', you reckon they all gave their permission? :D

Besides, if it were me I'd just let him put it there, it just serves to highlight his attitude problem- the majority of the people who read it will probably agree with Mattia!

Well, quite.

Honestly, it's too entertaining. I'm half pondering asking him to change the byline/link to this thread and/or my website (which ain't finished), but it's so totally not worth the hassle. Besides, like Ben says, I stand by that comment in its entirety. In fact, even more so now than I did before.

I wonder how much effort it would take to railroad his bandwidth.

I wonder how much effort it would take to ignor him and his pathetic little web page. The ONLY reason his guitars are getting more than a passing glance and an "ehh..." is by baiting and hype. He means NOTHING. He is not in competition with the likes of PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc... Trying to elevate the status of his guitars by saying his knowledge and design surpasses these highly sucessful manufacturers. To me is akin to a telemarketer telling Trump how to run his business. He is just a guy that has made a handful of basic guitars (nothing more nothing less). Leave it alone! Walk away! Let sleeping Dogs (well in this case yappy Chihauhau) Lie. There just gots to be something better to do than talk about that little man.

Peace,Rich

Man rich, this is getting to you, isn't it? I just find it all amusing. Realistically, in a few days, no one will care, one way or another. We all know this. You see, zach(or whatever his name is) has it all wrong. He's the mouse in that image. He's already killed himself. His attitude is his metaphorical mouse trap. His guitar building career is dead and we're the cats pawing at it for our own amusement.

Unless, of course rich, this about something else...I told you not to hate me because I'm beautiful. :D

Man rich, this is getting to you, isn't it? I just find it all amusing. Realistically, in a few days, no one will care, one way or another. We all know this. You see, zach(or whatever his name is) has it all wrong. He's the mouse in that image. He's already killed himself. His attitude is his metaphorical mouse trap. His guitar building career is dead and we're the cats pawing at it for our own amusement.

Unless, of course rich, this about something else...I told you not to hate me because I'm beautiful. B)

I guess I have just seen the name Zachary too much lately. I will go right back to ignoring the topic.

Well it may be about something else :D. I just don't know what else yet. B)

I of course have always hated you because you are beautiful Russ :D . Now you can't blame a fella for that :D .

He is not in competition with the likes of PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc... Trying to elevate the status of his guitars by saying his knowledge and design surpasses these highly sucessful manufacturers. To me is akin to a telemarketer telling Trump how to run his business. He is just a guy that has made a handful of basic guitars (nothing more nothing less)

Sure, but Paul Reed Smith probably wouldn't invite you to sit on his bed while you try out his guitars... :D

I wonder how much effort it would take to ignor him and his pathetic little web page. The ONLY reason his guitars are getting more than a passing glance and an "ehh..." is by baiting and hype. He means NOTHING. He is not in competition with the likes of PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc... Trying to elevate the status of his guitars by saying his knowledge and design surpasses these highly sucessful manufacturers. To me is akin to a telemarketer telling Trump how to run his business. He is just a guy that has made a handful of basic guitars (nothing more nothing less). Leave it alone! Walk away! Let sleeping Dogs (well in this case yappy Chihauhau) Lie. There just gots to be something better to do than talk about that little man.

Peace,Rich

Now THAT is idiot page material!