Drill Press As Drum Sander

If you put too much lateral pressure on the drill press collet over an extended period of time, you'll probably eff it up. If you go gently, and have a good drill to begin with, you're probably going to be fine.

If in doubt, get a separate cheap drill press and convert it to sanding duty, for cheaper than a dedicated drum sander. (of course, allllll depending on your needs and how often you use such things; after all, if it's your main tool, you might want an actual drum sander after all).

Greg

Shouldn't be a problem unless the drill press is already weak, I wouldn't think. You could even make some sort of jig that holds the drum in place at the bottom, too, for extra stability.

Greg

I haven't tried the rotary shaper, but I LOOOoooove Microplane's rasps. I think the shaper is probably a good investment. And with Lee Valley now carrying it, I can get it in Canada, which is (amazingly) unlike a sanding drum with follower. Haven't seen a "robo-sander" type bit EVER up here. And when I asked at Lee Valley about a year ago, they looked at me like I was a moron. Hah, joke's on them! Morons.

Greg