Hooking 1 Emg 81 Up To A Mexi Strat.

mirroredfire

Okey i feel like this is going to be a long thread, but hopefully someone can help me.. basically I want to know what the possibility of hooking an EMG 81 up to my strat instead of the humbucker.. I just recently bought a mexi strat off ebay and have a emg 81 hanging around that my friend gave me. First off I know I would have to buy a different jack (so its stereo instead of mono), one question on that can I hook the passive single pickups through the stereo jack? Also would I need to add 1 more volume knob to my guitar or could I control both the EMG 81 and singles with the same knob (something else that confuses me because ill need a 25k pot for the active, and a 500k pot for the passive).

Basically what im wanting is to be able to switch the two passives on/have the EMG 81 off, and be able to switch the EMG 81 on and have the two single coil passives off.. Is this possible?

Edited by mirroredfire

Easiest way to do it is to use an EMG PA-2 preamp on the single coils and use the 25k controls for everything. I think they run $30-$40.

thanks, I decided to pick one of those up.. hopefully I can figure out how it works. Im assuming they have wiring diagrams with them? Ill be using 2 passive pickups from my strat with the one EMG 81 so hopefully this works.. I ordered all the wiring for the EMG 81 too since my friend didn't have it.

You can do a search here this has been disscussed before. Also there are help pages on the related subject on the EMG side. I really don't see much of a point in mixing passives and actives this way, but everybody have different preferences or budgets to follow. Save some money and get some S or Sa for the single coils or cheaper get a decent passive pup for the bridge.