My Biggest Fear

Jalien21

Fear is a bad, bad, bad thing with tools. A dangerous thing. You need to respect your tools, know what damage they can do, and do everything you can to avoid it, but using a tool you're actually afraid of is a quick way to pain and hurt. Learn to use your tools, respect the danger they represent, but remember you're the one controlling the damn things, not the other way around.

+1.

the only tool i have had a genuine fear of is a chainsaw. i had never used one and attempted to cut down a huge gum tree in my backyard down. after about 15 seconds of using the chainsaw i put it down and for the next 5 hours used a hand saw. my arms/legs/fingers/toes etc. were more important than saving time/energy!! :D

wait. i do a lot of sanding. i've never worn a mask or anything when i do it. i don't sand pressure-treated wood or anything. am i screwing myself? should i really be wearing a respirator whenever i sand anything?

yes. whether the timber presents a known danger ie: cancer causing agents etc. you are still breathing in dust which can't have a beneficial effect on your lungs.

cheers

darren

wait. i do a lot of sanding. i've never worn a mask or anything when i do it. i don't sand pressure-treated wood or anything. am i screwing myself? should i really be wearing a respirator whenever i sand anything?

Ask yourself this: do you want your lungs filled with sawdust or with air?

Well, I'm constantly doing sanding work on the job. That involves sanding old paint, filler material, smoothing wood or whatever. I've worked on a LOT of very old houses that have been painted with old style paints containing lead and cadmium. Most of the work is outside but if the wind isn't blowing much and/or I'm using my power sander I'll put on my 3M half-mask respirator. If you don't think you are dodging wood, paint etc. dust then try this. Spend half a day sanding and then blow your nose afterwards....look at the contents of your Kleenex. :D

Edited by Southpa

Even outside, with a nice breeze, you'll be getting a good deal of wood dust making it's way into your respiratory system - try Southpa's kleenex test and you'll be surprised how much crap you breathe in whilst you're outside in the open.

Any fine powder in your lungs is bad news, so invest in a good quality mask and wear it!

• 2 months later...

Looks like an old topic but Ill chime in too.

I had a fear of routers too.

It started in wood shop in Highschool when a tabletop router kicked a block of cherry out across the room and left my finger dangerously close to the spinning bit.

Ever since then I have been scared of routers.

That was until about a year ago when I got a good variable speed 2 handed router.

I guess the trick is to understand the tool and what it's capible of.

Read the documentation that comes with your router...there are pearls of wisdom therein.

The only times I have seen a router fail is when it was being misused.

I have had a bit slip down out of the collet before...that was because I was trying to cut too deep at once.

I had a bit snap in a blank of plywood....thats scary.

I noticed that I was no longer making any cuts in the wood and looked under the router to see what was up with the bit, only to notice there there was only the shaft left. The bit split in two and went somewhere...I still dont know where. I was checking myself to make sure I didn't get "shot" with the bit.

Check the tool every time before you use it.

Many routers come with protectors around the cutter to prevent it from leaving the inside of the cutting area.