What Files Should I Buy?

shawnm26

I am probably going to be ready to file my nut nest week. I was wondering what I should get for files? I don't want to spend the money for a whole set from Stew Macs, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size I will definatley need and maybe a secondary that I might need to finish it off.

There are a lot of different ways to do it, depending on your preference and budget. One option is to only get a couple nut files ... say 11 or 12 thou and something in the middle of the string size range. That would be a good start. For another option, you could rough out the slots with a razor saw (like Xacto for a few bucks) and finish off the shapes using pieces of guitar strings superglued to the edge of popsicle sticks. That method is very cheap and will work if you have the patience. It's mostly about technique and getting creative with what you have. (Of course, the set of files is still the best way to go if you have the means.)