Taylor Guitar Refinish

Taylor uses urethan to finish their guitars. Unless you know for certain your guitar has a lacquer finish you may have visible line where urethane meets lacquer.

I'm almost 100% positive Taylor uses UV catalyzed polyester, I believe McFaddens, and have done for over a decade. It's probably on their website, but I'm too lazy to check.

Refinish the top with whatever, and be very, very, very careful when stripping (you only want to remove finish, not wood). If you finish up to the edge, ie the binding, the line shouldn't be visible IMO.

How bad is the mark on the top?

Unless it's a nuke strike I'd leave it alone. Stripping and refinishing the top will be quite likely to alter the sound of the guitar, and you stand a good chance of making a mess of a nice guitar to correct a cosmetic issue.

Huh....what do you know. A buddy of mine had a divot repaired by Taylor on his 600-series (from the tooth on the case lid), one about 1/2 pinky fingernail size and two others about half that size, lower bout treble side. They did a pretty good job of drop-filling it, but not as good as I had expected for nitro.

I guess that's because they don't use nitro. Any ideas why? Faster cure time?

What Godin SD said, pretty much; Polyester is a much more stable finish (nitro really isn't very good that way, over time), very clear, turnaround time from finishing line to buffing measured in hours, not weeks (ie, within the day from first coat to final buffing, with the UV cure). They've got a whole article about it somewhere on their website. The finish itself is quite a lot more expensive than nitro, but the ability to get your guitars OUT of the factory doublequicktime is essential for an operation that size.

• 5 weeks later...

I bet if you send the serial number to them they can tell you what finish material is on that guitar. They are very meticulous.