Fret Buzz/spot Leveling

Hey guys!

A buddy of mine lent me his guitar to do a setup on. He wears the hell out of the guitar, and its in pretty rough shape! Anyway, the biggest problem is some of the fret buzz. On most all of the strings, but not always on the same frets, there is some pretty major buzz. Example : the 12th fret A string is clear and fine, but the 12th fret g has audible buzz. This leads me to think that a few of the frets have some high spots. I've not messed with the truss rod or checked neck relief yet, but it seems alright.

How does a man fix such a problem? LAYMANS TERMS, please!!! Thanks guys!

P.S. Check out my friend's band: www.myspace.com/straightlinestitch

Hey guys!

A buddy of mine lent me his guitar to do a setup on. He wears the hell out of the guitar, and its in pretty rough shape! Anyway, the biggest problem is some of the fret buzz. On most all of the strings, but not always on the same frets, there is some pretty major buzz. Example : the 12th fret A string is clear and fine, but the 12th fret g has audible buzz. This leads me to think that a few of the frets have some high spots. I've not messed with the truss rod or checked neck relief yet, but it seems alright.

How does a man fix such a problem? LAYMANS TERMS, please!!! Thanks guys!

P.S. Check out my friend's band: www.myspace.com/straightlinestitch

good morning jupiter..there are several things that could be causing the problem you describe. when a guitar comes into my shop with those symptoms the first thing i do is check the neck relief..the straightness of the neck. if, once the relief is set, there's still buzzing on some of the strings but not all of them the next thing i check is the saddle height..and i suspect that might be your problem. if the g string saddle is slightly lower than the a it will buzz when the a won't.

the strings should follow the radius of the fretboard and the easiest way to find out what that height should be is to go to the fender guitar website and check out their setup specs. get yourself a little metal ruler that has inches on one edge and a metric rule on the other. if memory serves me the e, a and d strings should be two mm above the 17th fret and g, b and high e should be 1.6 mm. if you still have a buzzing after getting the proper neck relief and and proper saddle adjustment then you may, indeed, have a high fret. try that and let us know if it fixes the problem or not.

good luck.