Les Paul Body Shape / Les Paul Double Cut Body Shape

For my cheapo spare-parts guitar I intend to build I'm pretty sure I want to use a LP or LPDC body shape... I'm just not sure which :D

I'm wondering if I could just cut out a LP shape, and then modify later if I change my mind.

I'd always thought that the two body shapes werent as similar as the names suggest, to me the LPDC looks shorter and squatter, but then I saw this pic:

http://www.provide.net/~woodrails/galpics/lpsp_2.jpg

With the two next to each other they look a lot more similar than I thought.

The right hand horn looks slightly different, but not significantly, and the neck joints are obviously different, but otherwise they do look almost identical...

Anyway, what do you think? Could I cut out a LP, and still have the option of converting it later?

I just tried layering two photos over each other... it seems that outline of the the right hand horn on the LPDC differs quite a lot from that of the LP...

lplpdc9zq.png

otherwise they do seem much more similar than I'd have guessed... I think the reason I thought the DC was 'squatter' is because of the positioning of the hardware being different.

I'd be fine if it wasnt for that one little bit of the DC horn poking over the single cut outline :D

Edited by Ben

There's nothing preventing your from redesigning either to match what YOU want!

Personally, I prefer the Gretsch or Danelectro versions of the singlecut and the Gretsch version of the double cut.

But that's just me. laugh.gif

I already made a LP template a while back and I'm wanting to see if I can modify that instead of needing to buy more MDF / freehanding it with the jigsaw. :D

Im not so keen on the gretsch/ danelectro double cuts personally

To be honest I think I'm leaning more towards the DC version because of the better upper fret thumb access... I might just make another template and make that.

I know I could create my own design, but I cant be bothered really... I like the LPDC design so I might just go with it. (Plus I really liked Setch's one:))

I might just make another mini-template for just the horns actually, and use the LP template for the rest

Edited by Ben

To be honest I think I'm leaning more towards the DC version because of the better upper fret thumb access... I might just make another template and make that.

Well, you know I'm kind of interested in the idea of keeping the single-cut but scooping it out at the back along the neck --I've seen a number of designs using that idea lately. I wonder how much easier the access becomes?

But that way you wouldn't have change your template at all :D

Well, you know I'm kind of interested in the idea of keeping the single-cut but scooping it out at the back along the neck --I've seen a number of designs using that idea lately. I wonder how much easier the access becomes?

But that way you wouldn't have change your template at all wink.gif

Thats a good idea, but holding my guitar and looking at the position my thumb is in I dont think there'd be enough room still. I do have pretty big hands though, it might be better for people with small hands or people who like to play with their hand in a classical position with their thumb on the back of the neck.

Anyway.. thats acedemic now :D I decide to just make my mind up, so its going to be a double cut. I made a second mini-template and I've nearly finished cutting the body out. I was going to take pics and start another thread in the 'In Progress and Finished Work' section, but I didnt have time. I'll be back at my dads on monday evening so I'll get some photos then.

Oh, and it wil be a carved top too. A router slip made that decision for me :D

When I was doing my double cut (which I still haven't finished), I decided to make it completely symetrical. If you look at the photo the top horn is slightly larger. This meant (although it's not why I did it) that I only had to make half a template and then I could just flip it over the centre line and the guitar would be perfectly symetrical - an old boat building trick :D