Stero Aby?

mvotre

hi there ! please save some wiring stupid !

i got a cheap ABY pedal ! but actually i just want to plug my ibook audio in "A", my boss GT8 on "B", and the output to earphones ! it works, but my phones works in mono :D ! if i just change the ABY jacks to stereo ones, would i get a stero output for my phones ? if not, any ideas on how i could achieve this ??

thanks and sorry if it just sound too stupid ! :D

thanks dude ! you gave a whole new idea ! think about it :

i got two inputs... one for the Mac, and one for the GT8 ! i just want to hear the two at the same time in my phones !

so, if i just build a simple box, with two mono jacks, for each one of my inputs, and wire the two "hots" to a single TRS (stereo) jack, i would get the two signals on my earphones? i could also put a volume pot to control each of the inputs signal !

Since i dont care to hear the output blended (actually the best for me would be each input in each side of the phones), this will save my ass for the moment !!!

would it work ? i cant find why it woudnt !

thanks again

I can't think of a more convoluted way to accomplish what you want to accomplish. :D Without modding the hell out of everything (which would be costly as well as time consuming), I suggest you keep the ABY pedal intact for its intended purpose, admit defeat, and buy the proper equipment (a small mixer or even just headphone mixer), to save yourself time, money, and aggravation.

Greg

...if i just build a simple box, with two mono jacks, for each one of my inputs, and wire the two "hots" to a single TRS (stereo) jack, i would get the two signals on my earphones...
Yes, that will work.

...i could also put a volume pot to control each of the inputs signal !
Now you're gilding the lily - it's an unnecessary complication, since both sources have their own volume controls, and it's not as simple as it sounds, because you're working with enough power to drive headphones, so just slapping a 500K pot in there won't get you where you want to go. Either make the basic dual mono to stereo adapter and control the volume from the input device, or follow Greg's advice and buy or build a proper mixer/blender - there's really not a good in-between solution.

thanks lovekraft ! your answer really helped me out !

GregP - actually, i already sended a email to the ABY builder, and he said me it would be simple to wire what i want ! and if i send my pedal, he would do it for me just for the cost of the jack and the shippings !

but i already solved my problem, and got a few more questions (i tried to change the name of the thread, but couldnt find how)

i got a cheap bass amp (johnson is the brand - made in china), stolen from a friend !! it got a headphone output wich was broken ! i just fixed it, and now i run my devices through the ABY, into the amp, and can use my phones in stereo ! !

i just LOVE how that cheap amp works without "coloring" my boss gt8 signal ! but, since i will just be using it with phones at home, im thinking about givind it a bit of a upgrade !! so please, if some one can answer my questions...:

1 - the amp is made of ....... :D (dont know the proper english name (hey, im brazilian :D ) . looks like just sawdust glued togheter.... can i make a new cabinet out of wood ??? i believe it would help the sound ? if yes, should i use real wood, os just plywood ???

2 - if i try to change the speaker, anyone have some ideas about which ones are good ? so i can see the specs, and even if i cant find the same brand in brazil, i can try to find one with similar specs !!

yeah, i know it would be easier just to buy i new one, but this one is just cheap enough (read free) to get some moding tests !

and i also know that moding it, i will change the sound a lot ! but it wont change the phone sounds right ?? the only thing im planning to do with the electronics is changind the cheap pots and jacks for some better stuff !

thanks again

Edited by mvotre

1. 1. Use either void-free plywood or solid wood. Early Fender cabinets are made from 1/2" (13mm) yellow pine, and sound great, but the industry standard is 3/4" (19mm) baltic birch plywood, 9 or 13 ply.
  2. 2. Without knowing the diameter, impedance and power level of your speaker, it's impossible to recommend a replacement. Keep in mind that a good bass speaker will probably cost double the new price of that amp.
HTH

thanks dude ! you gave a whole new idea ! think about it :

i got two inputs... one for the Mac, and one for the GT8 ! i just want to hear the two at the same time in my phones !

so, if i just build a simple box, with two mono jacks, for each one of my inputs, and wire the two "hots" to a single TRS (stereo) jack, i would get the two signals on my earphones? i could also put a volume pot to control each of the inputs signal !

Since i dont care to hear the output blended (actually the best for me would be each input in each side of the phones), this will save my ass for the moment !!!

would it work ? i cant find why it woudnt !

thanks again

Whatever you choose to do, make sure that the outputs of whatever you are feeding this device don't get shorted to ground - either by design or accidently.