Hollowbody Design Idea

I was wondering... what if you you had a 1" thick back, and a 3/4" carved top carved down to like 1/4" at the side, or less.... lets say a les paul style guitar. What would happen if you took the back wood and fully hollowed it out, even under the bridge etc. but then DIDN'T underside carve the carved top piece. Since it'd be about 3/4" thick where the bridge is chillin' at, would it be strong enough to just drill your post holes for the TOM and go on your merry way?

Chris

I was wondering... what if you you had a 1" thick back, and a 3/4" carved top carved down to like 1/4" at the side, or less.... lets say a les paul style guitar. What would happen if you took the back wood and fully hollowed it out, even under the bridge etc. but then DIDN'T underside carve the carved top piece. Since it'd be about 3/4" thick where the bridge is chillin' at, would it be strong enough to just drill your post holes for the TOM and go on your merry way?

Chris

Chris. That would be a whole lot more wood than you would have if it was a braced hollow body top. How are you going to anchor the strings. Tapeze, Wrap around, strings through body, tail piece? If you take an acoustic as bare minimum,then you have quite a beefy braced top(but of coarse very different bridge configurations). What is yer logic or goal for using this type of design?(just curious).

Peace,

Rich

You're so lazy, chris. I know you've watched the benedetto vid at least once. You know what to do. I'm guessing a carved top that's 3/4" at the center and 1/4" at the sides on top of a rim will sound less hollowbody like than the 1/4" maple topped semi-hollow teles that seem to surface around here every once in a while.

EDIT: What has singapore done to you, chris? :D

You're so lazy, chris. I know you've watched the benedetto vid at least once. You know what to do. I'm guessing a carved top that's 3/4" at the center and 1/4" at the sides on top of a rim will sound less hollowbody like than the 1/4" maple topped semi-hollow teles that seem to surface around here every once in a while.

:D:DB):DB)