Broken-glass Fretmarkers

I have never done any kind of inlays or fret markers before, (or any customization really) but I want to know how to take broken peices of glass and use them for fret markers. I want them to be good-sized peices of glass and just mark the 3, 5, 7, and 12 etc. frets by cutting into the fretboard and gluing the glass in.

Will this work? I don't want to try it and totaly kill my guitar.....

I will probably mess around with scrap peices of wood first anyways.

If anybody has ideas please let me know.

I'm gonna say that it wouldn't be a good idea. Broken glass won't have squared edges that would facilitate inlaying. Also, after you glue them in, you would have to sand them down to be level with the fretboard, which means ripping up the frets, sanding down the glass (which I'm sure would be extremely dangerous), buffing the glass back to a shine, and then re-fretting. Plus, broken glass isn't something you wanna play around with. :D

What about using mirrored perspex, then using a sharp blade and scratching grooves into the surface to try to make it look broken?

Just an idea

What about using mirrored perspex, then using a sharp blade and scratching grooves into the surface to try to make it look broken?

Just an idea

That does sound like a really good idea. It really doesn't have to be glass its just the look I want.

Do you think you can give more instructions on how to do it? Thx...

I got one idea reading this thread. How about tracking down thin clear glass, cutting a cavity in the fretboard, putting aluminium foil at the bottom, break the glass into small pieces and put those into the cavity and seal everything with CA? For sure it will take a few applications of CA to build up thick enough, but it might work. If you try this or any other method, please share the result

I got one idea reading this thread. How about tracking down thin clear glass, cutting a cavity in the fretboard, putting aluminium foil at the bottom, break the glass into small pieces and put those into the cavity and seal everything with CA? For sure it will take a few applications of CA to build up thick enough, but it might work. If you try this or any other method, please share the result

Help a n00b out here... What is CA?

It sounds like a good idea. It would be cool to get slightly tinted glass or colored foil or something....

Anyways, thanks to everybody who gave me their great ideas. I'm probably going to experiment on wood other than my guitar, and if I have luck I'll do it to my fretboard.

Keep the ideas comin' though! :D

And I will definately post pictures of the results when I do it :D

That does sound like a really good idea. It really doesn't have to be glass its just the look I want.

Do you think you can give more instructions on how to do it? Thx...

Well I said 'just an idea'- because I've never tried it myself...

There is however this tutorial on the main site:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/3dinlay1.htm

That tutorial uses clear perspex. You could just do exactly as it says but with mirrored perspex

Good luck!

CA stands for something scientific-sounding...

Cyano-Acrylate....yup crazy glue :D (this is my proud moment for actually knowing something here)

What about acylic? It mimics glass of any color including opaques and can be sanded and buffed.

R-

Edit: Apparently my proud moment is over as perspex (must be a UK term) is indeed sheet acrylic....

*kicks self*