Natural Finish?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and I have a question. I have an Ibanez RG120 and I plan on sanding the paint off and leaving a natural finish. Is there any special steps needed to do this or should I just sand the paint and cover it with clear coat?

:D Whoa....the cool pic in the signature makes me dizzy. :D

Anyway, it depends on how much you sand. Your plan may work if you only sand off the paint. But if you sand down to the bare wood then there are some extra steps involved. You'd probably have to prep the body again before you could clear coat.

Well I want it to where I don't need to completely prep the body, I just want to get down to the wood and make it a natural finish. If this means I have to get down to the bare wood, then what are the steps I need to take?

Oh, the pic? Me and my friend made that on photoshop. We just took a pic of a 10th JEM and made a bunch of lighting effects. :D

Edited by ibz_rg

You could sand it down completely and then oil it. Oil finishes are nice and easy. Probably easier than trying to sand it down without sanding through the sealer.

Well I don't want an oil finish. I just want a straight natural finish like the picture I posted. Is there any simple way of doing this such as just sanding it down to the bare wood and leaving it?

Edited by ibz_rg

Is there any simple way of doing this such as just sanding it down to the bare wood and leaving it?

You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. Finishes aren't entirely for cosmetics, they also offer protection from moisture and stuff that could ruin the guitar eventually. I would sand down to the bare wood, then brush on some sanding sealer. Then you would just use fine grade sandpaper and add some clear coats. I've never done a natural finish so I don't know if this is the easiest way. But is the easiest way usually the best way? :D This way won't be quite as easy as the oil finish, but it seems like this is what you want. Good luck. :D

Oh, the pic? Me and my friend made that on photoshop. We just took a pic of a 10th JEM and made a bunch of lighting effects. :D

Yeah, you might want to check out the rules regarding signatures:

Signatures:

Your signature is to be text only. Pics/banners are big bandwidth hogs, and take up a lot of "screen real estate". When you're searching for the metric screw size of Wilkinson saddle screws, you don't want to have to scroll for days. So, for now...here's how it works:

Text only signatures.

2 lines max.

You may have a non-business link in your signature.

You may have a business link in your signature if you are a site sponsor (as determined by Brian).

As of Sept. 1, 2004, if your signature doesn't comply with the above, we will remove the entire signature.

I made that mistake too. B)

I still miss those dancing bananas... :D

Oil finishes also offer little to no protection against bumps and dings. Plan on a quick relic job. biggrin.gif

FWIW I meant oil varnish- like tru-oil or danish oil. But you say you dont want an oil finish... so I guess its not worth much :D

Scratch the natural plan. I think I will just go ahead and do a custom paint job. I just realized that my guitar is made of basswood which isn't the prettiest of display woods and that it's made of 3 pieces of wood so it wouldn't look very good even if I liked the basswood look. Sorry to cause you guys all this trouble. :D

Edited by ibz_rg

:D Hey, no problem. I just had a series of threads and found out that basswood isn't all that great for dye/natural finishes, so I was a little disappointed too. So any ideas of what kind of paint job you're going to do? Perhaps a cool graphic or something......