1 Or 2 Meg Pots For Alnico Classic Buckers

Stiffy

Actually, Godin, you're forgetting about Kirchoff's Law. The volume control circuit acts as a voltage divider network, which without going into all sorts of physics I learned in vo-tech but forgot somewhere in law school, adding a larger value pot will actually have the effect of increasing the output. Problem is it also screws with the resonant peak and the sound can become shrill and ice-picky. I wouldn't say Torres is exactly lying, but the difference between a 1-meg and 2-meg pot isn't going to be as dramatic as a 500k to 1M pot.

This is why Fender uses 1-meg pots on the Noiseless pickups.

Actually, Godin, you're forgetting about Kirchoff's Law. The volume control circuit acts as a voltage divider network, which without going into all sorts of physics I learned in vo-tech but forgot somewhere in law school, adding a larger value pot will actually have the effect of increasing the output. Problem is it also screws with the resonant peak and the sound can become shrill and ice-picky. I wouldn't say Torres is exactly lying, but the difference between a 1-meg and 2-meg pot isn't going to be as dramatic as a 500k to 1M pot.

This is why Fender uses 1-meg pots on the Noiseless pickups.

Yeah but isn't shrill and ice-pickey dimebag's screaming metal sound? So would that be 2 megs?

2 Meg pots are very harsh sounding unless you are using uber high output pups. 1 Meg really only sounds good with pups over 10 or 11k. They add more presence than anything else along with a slight increase in output. The extra presence gives the illusion of higher output...

-Stan

Edited by has-sound

• 2 weeks later...

2 Meg pots are very harsh sounding unless you are using uber high output pups. 1 Meg really only sounds good with pups over 10 or 11k. They add more presence than anything else along with a slight increase in output. The extra presence gives the illusion of higher output...

-Stan

So 2 meg volume pot would be good for dimarzio super distortion usa right?