How Do I Install My Emg-81 In My Strat With Passives ?

Fender

Hello to all,

This is my first post on these boards. Kind of a drag that it has to be a question, but i am in dire need of help. I finally received my 81 this morning. I had intended to place it in my 2005 American Series Fender Stratocaster with S-1 switching. With this type of switching inside, i had already accepted that the installation would not be easy. Upon receiving the pack, i came to an abrupt realization. Is it possible to connect an Active pick-up with two other passives without compromising the sound of either ? EMG suggested i buy more crap to effectuate this mod. Either that, or complete the set with two other actives, which i am just not interested in doing.

Can i install an EMG with two other single coils without having to buy any other pieces than what is already in here ?

If so, how do i go about installing it, as i am sure that the diagrams will no longer apply ?

If anymore info or pictures are needed, i will glad to provide them ASAP

I thank each and everyone of you who help me out in this. I can return the favor, i have somewhat of an extensive knowledge on guitars, and am okay when it comes to painting etc.

Thank You all,

Fender

• 1 month later...

That extra "crap" probably consists of the PA-2 preamp, which is indeed necessary to mix actives and passives unless you feel like building your own preamp or putting a switch between the active and passive sides with no blend between the two.

I think you'd be a lot better off returning the 81 and keeping the guitar passive if you're not willing to go totally active or use the appropriate preamps. There's a lot of nice passive pickups that'll replace that 81 very well. Try a Dimebucker or something.

I think you'd be a lot better off returning the 81 and keeping the guitar passive if you're not willing to go totally active or use the appropriate preamps. There's a lot of nice passive pickups that'll replace that 81 very well. Try a Dimebucker or something.

I totally agree, you just made a bad (or uninformed) choice, I would back up to the point of mistake and regroup with another pick, else you're in for more headaches, returning the pkp seems far far easier in the end.

There's also the Bill Lawrence L-500 I think, and a Barden Two-Tone is awfully close to an EMG in quietness and output and clarity also, but a lot more pricey.