Router Bits

In the past, I've used my father-in-laws power tools and whatever bits he had, but now that I have my own router (Hitachi M12VC), I'm interested in what bits are useful for guitar building and what brands are worth the money. In doing some research, I found this article from Fine Woodworking that did a router bit shootout. Granted, it is somewhat limited since they only used 1/2-in.-dia., 1/2-in. shank, double-fluted carbide-tipped straight bits, but it is at least something. I was shocked at the showing done by the Jesada bit, as that's one of the names I knew as high dollar (and supposedly high quality).

So, what are some good workhorse bit styles for guitar work, and what manufacturers are you guys using? Also, what types of experience do people have with the bit manufacturers listed? Anything that goes against the article?

Thanks in advance.

GBT

Wow, 26 reads and no replies. Ah well.

Let's see , I use CMTs, also Whiteside, some are from Rockler, I try and get the pattern bits I use from woodcraft on there $5.00 weekly specials. Eagle america has some good bits also. ( eagleamerica.com )

also try routerbits.com

CMTs I find are usually the best but expensive, I like Whitesides also. But most I have listed have good bits that will serve the purpose.

Hope that helps?

MK

Absolutely. Thanks MiKro. I hate to admit it, but I'm like a kid in a candy store with my new tools, though I still need a band saw and a table saw. But I'm really enjoying the router.

How long do your bits last? I've used some in the past, but I literally have no idea how long these things last or how to take care of them. I've been doing a lot googling lately.

GBT

Absolutely. Thanks MiKro. I hate to admit it, but I'm like a kid in a candy store with my new tools, though I still need a band saw and a table saw. But I'm really enjoying the router.

How long do your bits last? I've used some in the past, but I literally have no idea how long these things last or how to take care of them. I've been doing a lot googling lately.

GBT

Joseph,

That's a subjective question. LOL:)))) It depends on the types of wood, also how you use the bit ( meaning take shallow passes vs. deeper) The type of steel, HSS vs carbide. all these things will determine the lifespan of a particular bit. also the unexpected piece of metal ( staple, nail, brad, lead) that somehow shows up every bluemoon, they play havoc with a bit.

Storing them in a rack with holes or something similar works fine. Keep them from rolling around in a drawer and banging against each other :D)) If they get pitch or build up on them use oven spray or WD40 to remove it, then clean with mineral spirits and store.

I'm sure others have there methods also but that's some of mine.

See ya later.

Mike K

edited to add: I noticed that you refered to FWW mag. try going to there website and get on the knots forum. alot of good info there and there is a good thread going on now about router bits.

I've never had problems with Porter Cable bits personally, but I take shallow passes and drill out the bulk of the material before I use the router. Not to mention i clean up most of whatever i'm routing with a cheap Ryobi bit before I move onto the P.C. bit for templates or depening the routes. Never had any problems, yet.

Ive heard of a couple of those brands, never used any of them though. Right now I am using woodcraft bits, whiteside, and magnate. I have chipped and destroyed a carbide pattern bit from woodcraft, only because I was trying to route 1 1/2" of solid purple heart, not a good idea. The whiteside I have a bit for doing binding channels, it does exactly what it is supposed to with no problems. The magnate bits, great router bits and fairly cheap. Ive put them through hell on the cnc machine and have had no problems whatsoever. The only problem I did have with them was the shipping time it took to get the bits, because they are based in Cali, it took like 5 days to get a bit when I was in RI, really not that big of a deal though. There website is Magnate.net but you can also find them on amazon.com

MzI

Sorry to be late to this thread, but lately I haven't even had time to lurk.

Whiteside is the #1 choice among the pros. CMT and Freud are also highly regarded. Whiteside is my first choice and I've never had a single issue with any of their bits. I usually buy mine from Hartville Tool.

I'm a longtime member (under another name) at the Woodnet.net forums. I can't ever recall any of the members over there ever posting about a problem with Whiteside.

The best bargain bits I've found are the house brand bits from Woodcraft when they're on sale, which is often. They're not as good as Whiteside, they won't last as long and the sizes and types are limited. But for many operations, you can't go wrong when they're on sale for $5 each.

Now, abut that Fine Woodworking test: in case you didn't notice, that article is from 1999. I would never, ever take Fine Woodworking's word on any test. When it comes to product testing, they're complete idiots. Running bits through melamine coated flakeboard with a CNC router and counting the chips is a ridiculous way to rate router bits. And BTW, Jesada has never been considered a top brand or a major player in the market, but in any case the company has been under different ownership for years and is hardly a blip on the radar screen now.