Relicing/ageing Telecaster Pickups

Lostheart

I tried to get some information on this over at the TDPRI, but to no avail...I hope there are a few folks around here who can help me out...

Lots has been written about relicing the finish and the hardware of guitars, but I have never seen a post on how to make a Telecaster Pickup (especially the bridge pickup) look old!

Don't get me wrong...I'm only talking of comsetically ageing it so it looks like those that Alan Hamel sells or those Lollar Pickups that have been aged by Jonathan Wilson ( http://www.songsofjonathanwilson.com/GVCGLollarAL3.htm ) ....I don't want to alter the sound, only the appearance!

Strat Pickups are an easy one...just scruff em up and throw them in strong coffee or tea, but...what's to do to make a brand spankin' new Tele Pickup not look odd in a relic guitar????

I've never done this before but it almost looks like he applies some sort of varnish to the bobbin to coat and yelllow (maybe some impurities in there - dirt perhaps) and then when its dry hits it with a freeze mechanism (canned air or contact renew held upside down) to get the varnish to crack. Just a guess...as I said before, I've never actually done this...Rog

EDIT: One other thought, there are some finishes Ive used to make metal look rusted and vintage, but I can't remeber what they are called. I'll try to do a little research to steer you in the right direction...Rog

I've never done this before but it almost looks like he applies some sort of varnish to the bobbin to coat and yelllow (maybe some impurities in there - dirt perhaps) and then when its dry hits it with a freeze mechanism (canned air or contact renew held upside down) to get the varnish to crack. Just a guess...as I said before, I've never actually done this...Rog

EDIT: One other thought, there are some finishes Ive used to make metal look rusted and vintage, but I can't remeber what they are called. I'll try to do a little research to steer you in the right direction...Rog

That would be nice...

I'm pretty much aware of etchant solution and the lot, which are used to age metal parts but I doubt that this was used on a pickup?!?!

As I said, when you come across any info it would be great if you could let me know...

Sascha