Rikon - Anyone Familiar With Their Quality?

Doeringer

My no name bench top drill press's motor just died (and now will be a full time arbor press) and I got this floor model to replace it Clicky

I read a few forums and didn't find anything bad but the price of $199, for a telescoping, tilting unit like this kinda scared me. I got it from Woodcrafters, and they usually sell good stuff. So I was just wondering if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with them. Either way I think I can get two bills worth of use out of it...

I can't answer your question Doeringer, but I have been looking at that same drill press at my local Woodcraft store, so I will be interested in how you like it once you start using it. Like you, I thought that the $199.00 pricetag was quite reasonable, although if I recal, it only has a 1/3 hp motor. That could be a bit under powered.

But I did like the fact it was a radial drill press (lots of swing for getting to those string through holes). I was not aware it had a tilting head. But, like I said $199.00 for a floor model drill press seems like a good deal if it holds up to regular use.

I just purchased the Rikon radial drill press, floorstand model. Went to Woodcraft last week specifically for that model and it turned out they only had the floor model in stock. Tried to work out a lower price since it was on the floor but ended up getting the 10% of power tool and power tool access. promotion they're going to be running later this month. The 10% applied to the drill press, wagner saf t planer and microplane shaper. Everything with tax was a hair over $250.00, DEAL.

It's the most flexible drill press I've ever used. The radial arm allows you to move the machine over the work instead of vice versa. It runs very smooth and quiet. Everything appears well built and solid. Very little play in the quill. I compared it to the Shop Fox version at Klingspors, and the Rikon's fit and finish was much higher quality althought the Shop Fox was rated at 1/2hp opposed to the Rikon's 1/3hp. I tried the saf t planer last night and it worked very well at the top 3100 rpm. The lower hp rating and saf t planer combo was a big hesitation but works well, just taking small amounts at a time.

Are you in Raleigh, NC kampgnar ? If you are, you just bought my drill press ! :D How rude ! :D I don't know if you are in Raleigh, but it is the only place I am aware of that has both a Woodcraft store and a Klingspor's.

You said the one they had in the store was the only one they had in stock. Do you know if they plan to order more or was that a one-time deal ? I have looked at that drill press every time I went to the store, and thought it was a nice cost effective versatile tool, just never had the money to take the plunge and buy it.

I am in Raleigh, actually Fuquay. Woodcraft and Klingspors w/n twenty minutes apart is pretty nice, huh. It's a small world. The salesman said that they recently received a Rikon shipment and he thought it might be a while before they got another model in. But, I can't imagine them keeping that spot empty for too long.

Thanks Kamp, I agree, smooth, quite, and versatile... and cant beat the price. I was just a little scared because I was not familiar with the brand. From what I understand, they will be a regular product/line for Woodcraft. The guys at my store had nothing but good things to say about them.

But it is hard to believe what a salesman said... (Did I say that about my own people???? for shame!)