True Oil Over Airbrush Work

Im not a luthier although it sould like a blast. Im an artist and would like to put some are on some guitars. I have been thinking of ways to clear the artwork on the guitars and was curious about true oil. Has anyone ever use true oil over airbrush work? I like the idea of it being non toxic and Being able to apply it with out a brush.. I like the idea of the glossyness of nitro but that may get in the way of some of the artwork.. is true oil maybe my best bet?

Thanks

Venom

I wouldn't suggest Nitro because it has the tendency to yellow and crack.

I would suggest a urethane (acrylic or poly).

Use dust coats to "lock in" the paint used for your art work, then follow up with light coats.

Good luck. :D

Edited by Dino

I don't think that oil will work on this. I use nitro over all my base coats, which on the last few guitars have been createx airbrush paint, and I haven't had any problem with them. I do still prefer (if possible) to use 2 part poly over them, better protection than nitro especially if your art work is good and/or expensive. If you are afraid of toxicity(sp?) just prep the guitar and take to your local bike or car paint shop.

Im not a luthier although it sould like a blast. Im an artist and would like to put some are on some guitars. I have been thinking of ways to clear the artwork on the guitars and was curious about true oil. Has anyone ever use true oil over airbrush work? I like the idea of it being non toxic and Being able to apply it with out a brush.. I like the idea of the glossyness of nitro but that may get in the way of some of the artwork.. is true oil maybe my best bet?

Thanks

Venom

I think the stuff I've been working with (Le Tonkinois) might work --it's a tung oil/linseed oil varnish. Look for marine varnish, I think that's what this might be called over there. And I believe it'll go over just about anything, except wax.

Keep in mind that a lot of 'clear' really isn't --and I think most varnishes will end up adding some tint to what beneath (and possibly darkening over time).

But there's nothing to stop you from experimenting on scrap.

I appreciate the replies, I have been wanting to clear a couple of guitars for a while. But I have been doing my homework before I just go off galavanting with expensive and sometime dangerous chemicals. I liked the idea of the true oil or especially the Le Tonkinois because its shiny, nitro yellows and cracks and seems to be very fragile and I don't at this moment have the money to take it to a shop. But it looks like the later is probably best my option. I'll probably experiment with some of it.

Thanks

Venom