Resistors And Sound

unclej

i took in an original champ today that sounded like it had a blown speaker..breaking up at around 3 on the volume knob. i tested it with two other known good speakers with the same result. all three of those great huge electrolytics are good leading me to look at the resistors next which i'll do in the morning.

my question isn't about troubleshooting but about the physical function of a resistor. if my problem is indeed caused by a weak or open resistor what is actually happening to the circuit that causes this sound? too much current or too little and what is it effecting?

consider this part of old uncle johnny's continuing education and thanks.

i took in an original champ today that sounded like it had a blown speaker..breaking up at around 3 on the volume knob. i tested it with two other known good speakers with the same result. all three of those great huge electrolytics are good leading me to look at the resistors next which i'll do in the morning.

my question isn't about troubleshooting but about the physical function of a resistor. if my problem is indeed caused by a weak or open resistor what is actually happening to the circuit that causes this sound? too much current or too little and what is it effecting?

consider this part of old uncle johnny's continuing education and thanks.

thanks joe..even though that didn't turn out to be the problem that's the information that i was looking for. i checked all of the components and the power supply and and couldn't find anything wrong. he had added one of those little "hot-rod" kits, some capacitors that were supposed to beef it up or make it louder, so i re-heated all of his solder joints and then re-tensioned the tube sockets and one of those fixed it. probably a cold solder but it doesn't matter now..it's fixed..

thanks again

john