8 8x10 Ampeg Cabs!?

coolio49085

Sorry but i don't know where to put this so i guess ill put it here.

A member of the styx (mr roboto) lives a couple of towns away from me and at the great big festival we have in our town, the played, last night.

Yes, the solos were awsome and the drums were sweet, but what caught my eye was the fact that to the left of the drummer, there were 4 8x10 ampegcabs with 4 ampeg svtclassics (ithink) and to the right there were 4 marshall full stacks, all with plexi heads.

I don't know if you know but that is crazy, and come to find out that there was another row of ampeg cabs and amp behind them.!

any comments?

Dummy cabs/turned off.

Slayer uses about 25 cabs per side (full marshall 4x12's) arranged in inverted crosses on stage for their new tour. Only two cabs per cross are loaded, as you can't have more and keep balance.

Most bands just have a wall for the sake of putting on a show.

Edited by MidnightLamp

I actually think it's kinda dumb when it comes to some bands. When I went to see Thyne Eyes Bleed, and Mastadon (both of which were on the unholy alliance tour with slayer), they both had a few full stacks in the background, but it's a total waste of money compared to using that to buy gear...but since all the other bands had them..they had to get em to?

Edited by MidnightLamp

That's what they are.... they're plywood covered in black tolex, and with a grill. When we say "dummy stack" we don't mean just one that's not plugged in.... they're literally dummies... no speackers, no wires, no electricity, no nothing. Light as hell too, just like the roadies like it :D

Chris

I did this contest called guitar hero here in Montreal. On stage, there were two marshall halfstacks on each side of the stage for each guitarist. In the middle, they had two mode fours side by side. The mode fours were actually 1 inch thick. They were just plastic panels with a marshall design on them. I thought they were real until one of the organisers showed me they were fake. I was on stage and I didint even notice. At the final of the show, the show took place in a bigger hal and they had a wall of like 10 stacks. Once again, they were fake 1 inch panels of Marshalls!!!!!!!!!!! HOW LAME!!! loooool

Marshalls actually provides these. ive seen them at guitar shows too. hilarious

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

There was a show on last night about the Hurricane festival in Berlin...lots of hip bands, like Hard-fi, Arctic Monkeys, Raconteurs, Wolfmother, Skin, etc...plenty I've never heard of...I think the average age was 15... :D

Anyway, they had a nice huge stage...but pretty much every band's equipment was pretty minimal...most bands seem to be using combos (saw plenty of AC30s). Only a couple seemed to have a half-stack of some sort there. None of this wall 'o cabs nonsense.

Another interesting trend...not so many telecasters, but tons of semis...

Oh yeah, pretty much all of the bands sounded pretty much the same... Wolfmother were pretty good though (they were in a smaller hall)